Has your "world of airlines" regularly flown expanded? contracted? stayed the same?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Bay Pisco Shark, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years on end, in the course of a year, if I was on an aircraft other than UA or AS, it was a rare occasion. Those two airlines took me almost anywhere in the world I went to. Those two mileage banks are where most of my miles still end up, but the percentage of my flying that is now NOT on either of those airlines is actually most of my flying.

This year looks like it will consist of paid travel on:
    AS
    UA
    LA
    DL
    US
    VX
    There could end up being another one or two on paid and/or award travel.
    I can't help but think that being SFO based, we are very lucky here to truly have a choice of airline. I'm wondering how many are now flying a myriad of carriers that don't live in a fortress hub v. those who live in an area that may have a predominant carrier (i.e., UA) but not one that controls the market. Have alliances changed/broadened your horizons of airline choice? Are you more apt to try "the new guy" even if there's a marginal or not particularly useful mileage plan? (ie., VX/B6) Are you more likely to just take the convenient flight? (i.e., WN shorthaul)

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I branched out from AS roots (supplemented with WN, VX and whatever partner of AS worked, AA/DL) and tried UA as a pseudo-1P, after avoiding them for over a decade because of years of anti-recommendations given to me by former elites and current friends who loathe UA. I actually have rather liked it, and I'll be redeeming awards in a couple of weeks soon that will give me 25,000 miles or so of flying in a bunch of airlines I've never flown, after a TPAC trip in UA F: NH, SQ, TG, EK, LX... followed by LH, the one airline I've flown before (in TATL coach, and it was pretty miserable).

It's been enjoyable enough that I am internally debating whether I want to keep 1P (I value AS MVPG more, though, and I don't think I want or can do the ~90,000 miles of EQM flying needed to keep both).

3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, and despite the mileage game, 95% of my flying remains on DL.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    About the same.

Ytd paid travel has been on: AA, QF, CX, KA, DL, CA and UA. US tomorrow, I note without enthusiasm. Anticipate BA and two of: SQ, EY and NZ as well this year.

In the States, there Is in general a contracting set of carriers to fly...whereas the rest of the world, the universe is growing. I didn't know KA until about 60 days ago...though I look forward to flying them again.

5. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've probably got a different profile to the above posters (being UK based). Most of my flying is AA, BA, LX, EZ and WW (with the occasional FR thrown in). The point to point service offered by EZ/FR is so attractive (unless I'm going for the miles).

6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year was primarily DL, AS, AA with a single UA trip and an FL segment when I couldn't make anything else fit. This year including current bookings is just DL and AA. A scrubbed west coast trip left me hurting for segments and Eskimo tails. 7 months to correct that.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    2011 - So far, it's been DL, KL, BA, and 4U. My first AA/BA TATL flights EVER are in a few weeks.
    2010 - Mostly DL, KL, AF with a couple of BA and 4U trips. I also flew KBL-FRA on Safi (Trip Report), which was different, to say the least!!

In the past several years, some of the lessor flown contract carriers have included Amsterdam Airlines, World Airways, Omni Air International, and Ryan Airlines (not the LCC in Europe).

:)

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    About the same. Still looking for the best value and least amount of hassle. Based at ORD, I can never seem to shake UA / AA.

9. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    My carriers have not changed much, but I am also living near an SK hub. My choice of carriers look like this for the last 2 years:

Scandinavian Airlines System 56​
    Continental Airlines 10​
    Spanair 9​
    Lufthansa 9​
    Czech Airlines 8​
    Thai Airways International 8​
    United Airlines 7​
    Estonian Air 6​
    Swiss International Air Lines 6​
    Air China 4​

10. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Switched from mostly UA with a smattering of CO to mostly AA. Home->EWR turns out to be more hassle then I'm willing to tolerate, and UA taking away bennies from lower tier elites make it not worth it.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a hub captive, DL dominates by a lot now,

This year: DL, AF and KL for intra-EU connections, SQ award tickets from DL

Last year: same plus CZ, A3

Further back: NW in place of DL of course, and lots more KLM than AF, plus CO, AA, JL, QF, TK

Still further in the past: Lots and lots of TWA, plus LH, LX, Austrian, SAS, TAP, and some more carriers that no longer exist such as Olympic, Sabena, Air Inter, Piedmont and Braniff

From the beginning, I've tried to concentrate my flights on a single carrier/alliance. Any expansion in my list unfortunately involves NW Airlink and now DL Connection now, which I haven't tried to list above.

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    And when there were more, I flew fewer of them! And when I did, I sure missed AS or UA.

13. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    MIne is staying about the same with a majority 90% being UA...

sdcarver

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. You actually flew on A3. Was it an intra-Greece flight? Was it typical mid-level European service?

I'm 1,000 EQPs shy of A3 Gold...and now feel this funny tinge that perhaps I should fly my soon-to-be-gold carrier prior to 2014.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown them a number of times between Athens and various Greek islands. They are soooooooooooo much better than Olympic. I started when my wonderful travel agent suggested them, urging me to avoid Olympic a number of years ago. I like A3 very much, but I've only had short flights. I found them at least comparable to AF/KL etc. short haul, but with very new aircraft. IIRC, all were on time with no problems beyond having to insist that they advertise a separate bus for business class passengers. The free Hertz rental day is a nice bonus if you're going somewhere that you're willing to drive.

Randy Petersen likes this.
  16. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine has changed drastically the past few years.

I was primarily on 95% with Air Canada with Eva Air and Japan Airlines to fill in the areas with void.

Now it is 50% with AC, with Air China, China Eastern and ANA taking the rest.
    Makes a huge difference being based in China not Canada anymore.

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Thanks for the color. I'll make it over there in the next year or two I suspect....I have quite wanted to go to Greece for some time. Funny how the low points needed for Gold may actually get them some revenue from me...perhaps a lesson for other airline execs. ;)

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what it means to be Taiwaned?

19. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    At last, someone understands. I was marooned.;)