Has your BA experience changed since JBV with AA?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by JALPak, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious how BA folks think about this JBV with AA. Has your BA experience changed at all after the JBV? E.g. Is exit row/award/upgrade harder to get now or it's pretty much the same? Thoughts? I am trying to set an expectation when JL's JBV with AA starts in April. Any insight is appreciated :)

2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does JAL levy YQ on its redemptions?

This generally regarded cloud has had a distinct silver lining since the tie-up with AA. Our new pAArtners cannot comprehend the levels of YQ they are being asked to pay for redemptions on BA. So that is discouraging a lot of them from doing so, I detect. There is much whingeing, all the time, on some IBBs about lack of availability, but in truth I haven't seen much change since BA's transatlantic seats were opened up to AAwards.

As for the revenue side, again not noticed much of a change, but it's early days.

3. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it would have if BA actually meant that you could get miles for ALL AA flights as they noted in their press releases...when in fact, you do not get any miles for certain fares on AA.

JALPak likes this.
  4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? Which ones?

Traveloguy likes this.
  5. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    O class on AA is currently ineligible, as is E on QF. An oversight I suspect.

JALPak, Traveloguy and Globaliser like this.
  6. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I won't need to worry about those. [​IMG]

ag51 and Traveloguy like this.
  7. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a London based EXP whose primary airline is BA, so far I have noticed almost no changes, so doubt BAEC members are being impacted at all...

JALPak, Traveloguy and Globaliser like this.
  8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a little bit deeper than oversight. I understand that it's because E on QF is absent from the BA/QF agreement, and this anomaly is known. So why not change it? I get the feeling that for some reason the earn/burn agreements aren't flexible enough to change quickly when one partner reallocates booking classes.

E on QF is particularly odd for me, because it's not the cheapest QF class. I sometimes find myself looking for a cheaper fare on which I could earn in BA.

JALPak likes this.
  9. E class is fairly new, even for QF'ers. In fact I think it is now the new 'lowest of the low' fare classes. Travelled on one recently in fact for a very short required hop on a domestic journey in Oz.

JALPak and Globaliser like this.
  10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks to me like this (E cheaper than O) is the case except when there is a sale on - in which case, the sale fare is lower than the E class fare but books into O.

So it is anomalous that you can buy a $79 O class sale fare and get your BA Miles and TPs, but if you buy the $104 E class fare you earn nowt in BA.

I have a suspicion that this structure may also be why (so it seems) you can sometimes rebook a domestic credit voucher into a cheaper fare and get credit for the difference. That should not happen, according to the voucher T&Cs.

JALPak likes this.
  11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes JAL does charge YQ on award tickets. Hopefully our new pAArtner will starting charging redemption on our tickets too.

Thanks everyone for the insight :)

12. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    not "O" and before people think this is really as low as they think, AA has recently put its good sales into O from Q where they were before that would get full miles.

13. Swanhunter
    Original Member

Swanhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    As one of those who was predicting doom on the award front I've been delighted by the TATL availability on offer. At 10 days notice to be offered F seats on all bar one of the flights to JFK was pleasing. Long term avail still looks decent too.

Other than a friendly "how you are part of the family" from an AAngel at MIA no other impacts.

TuxTraveller, Globaliser and JALPak like this.
  14. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing a few more EXPs in the FLounge and going through T5 security, but most seem to be on business so are likely paid tickets rather than awards.

I think the YQ are scaring most AAdvantage members away from redeeming on BA.