Has this ever happened to you? (no room upgrade for SPG P)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Thomask, Dec 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am staying at a Sheraton Resort in Asia. Booked the stay 4 months ago, prepaid. I did not even get one room level upgrade. (Hotel almost sold out) This has never happened to me, especially in Asia. Its like the one time in a year I am traveling with the whole family. I had also applied Suite night awards (4 months ago) but the Hotel choose to sell the suites directly. I am very disappointed.

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the hotel is truly out of basic rooms with a view, corner rooms, and standard suites then I'm not sure what you'd like them to do... if they have better rooms available but won't give you an upgrade then I'd be disappointed as well.

KENNECTED and uggboy like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ummm "chose to sell the suites"... I think that is what is meant by "if available". Sure, understand your disappointment, but at highest season with high occupancy the chances of getting an upgrade go down. Since you have SNA and are platinum don't overlook the other benefits - like free breakfast ;)

uggboy likes this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, common thing to happen especially at resorts: inconsistence in service quality for Plats. Inconsistent benefits. That was one of the reasons that prompted me to jump ship to Hyatt for 2015.

I stayed at about 4-5 different resorts this year, no upgrades for all of them. However SPG site would list available paid suites and/or higher category rooms. Also, most of the resorts refused to give me late checkout for free and instead want to charge by the hour for it. (In one case I accepted, but the late checkout charges never showed up on my final invoice so too bad for them :p)

uggboy likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG's Terms <<

@Thomask, which property did you encounter your issue and those suites you saw being offered... were they basic suites or enhanced / premium suites?

@Sammich, I guess the resort properties will claim the following

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably yeah if I ever pursued the issue. All 4 resorts were visited during off-peak season though. Rooms were actually available.

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently had even worse experience in Amman. Hotel was not sold out, but offerred me an upgrade only for an extra charge, 39 EUR/day. Many Sheratons in my recent experience were real dumps too -- much worse than Four Points for example.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth be told, thanks for sharing your insights.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:I am a bit perplexed by the issue here. Is it not a bit much to expect a hotel to give away a suite as an upgrade when it could get real cash -- quite a bit of it, actually -- by letting someone with the dough book it as a revenue?....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    brodyf likes this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have to agree. I would love to get an upgrade every time , but if the room is revenue booked by someone, the property is in the business of making money.

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

alfagirl and NYCUA1K like this.
  11. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton did offer me upgrades 2 nights into the stay. But they were not connecting rooms so I did not take them. The basic rooms I have now are connecting. Everything else at this Hotel is very nice, Breakfast, friendly staff, good lounge offerings etc. To be honest I have to say I normally get suites.. have also gotten them at this Hotel before.

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you required connecting rooms...and were disappointed when a sold-out hotel wasn't able to upgrade you (despite evidence from past stays that they probably at least try to)?

Seems a bit of a stretch to complain.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Subject to availability is not the same as subject to payment. If the hotel is selling late checkouts or upgrades (not beyond select standard suites), then it's available.

KENNECTED likes this.