Has anyone tried status matching to united or continental from another airline?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by emt14320, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've searched continental's website, but can't even find an email address except for technical issues or to add missing miles. I'm guessing that although I have chairman's preferred on usairways and that even though the flight is operated by us airways, that if the flight is booked under united (which seems to be the only way it shows up even though it says operated by us air), that I won't have status on that flight for upgrades, etc. Therefore, since this will be my new routing for the next 6 months, I would like to get status on united or continental rather quickly (it's a cross country flight). I was hoping either united or continental would status match to some level. Has anyone tried?

2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure, I have only status matched out of United. If you do get a choice between Continental and United I would choose Continental, as status matching is typically a once in a lifetime deal, that way you may still be able to match again some time in the future with United.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither CO nor UA offers a straight match normally these days; it is a challenge where you get the status and have to fly a certain amount in 90 days to keep it. It is allowed every 5 years, not once/lifetime.

rwoman and alohastephen like this.
  4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it, UA/CO does not normally status match from another *A airline, but perhaps this is one of the many things which is changing.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Tell us more about the route you're talking about.

IF you're on a US AIrways-operated flight, then United/Continental status will not get you upgrades.

Let's first figure out whom you really want to have status with..

rwoman likes this.
  6. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know that. I thought once in a lifetime meant once in a lifetime. Thank you for the heads up.

My personal experience 5 years ago is that I earned Gold with United, then status matched to Continental. Then I status matched again back to United. There was no challenge for me at that time.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A lot has changed in the past 5 years, to say the least. ;)

rggale and catgirl like this.
  8. The flight numbers are united but in small letters under the flight info, it says "operated by US airways". So I figured if I had status on United and US airways, I couldn't lose

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would be better off keeping the reservation under your US number, since they would recognize it and put you on the upgrade list.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Having UA status will net you absolutely nil with respect to upgrades on US metal.

Is it not possible to book the flights as US-coded? That would let your Chairman's status work the way it is supposed to.

11. unfortunately, the travel system sees the us coded flights that match these as out of policy because the routing is more expensive. therefore the only options it will let me select are the united coded flights.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the US policy on upgrades of codeshare flights; I'd ask over in the US board to get confirmation one way or the other. But you're still almost certainly going to be best off using your US status on those flights.