Has anyone had FF miles removed from your account BY A BANK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sk8uno, Jul 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had FF miles removed from your FF account by a credit-card issuing bank, for any reason?

For example, Citibank removing miles that are actually in your AA account.

I know some banks threaten this (if you close a CC too soon, for instance), but has it happened to anyone?

sobore and jwsky like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had AAdvantage miles deducted by Fidelity several years ago. They had previously double posted them by mistake. So the removal was a fair, albeit cheap move.

3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not experienced this. The only time I recall explicitly seeing that warning was from Chase. I believe the United card, when I applied for it years ago, said they would claw back the mileage if you canceled within 6 months. Seemed like a pointless warning as you weren't charged a fee until after 12 months anyhow.

4. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the United cards still have that warning. Deep down I want to believe that it's a meaningless threat and that Chase doesn't have United cooperation in doing this.

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex gave me too many membership awards and I used them. Then, months later they caught it . I now have a negative balance.

6. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    That is unfortunate. :( But that situation is a little different since AMEX exercises control over both Membership Rewards and your credit card account. So it's not surprising that they could do that. I'm interested in situations where a bank reaches into your ff account, which is managed by a separate company, and revokes points.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you're probably wrong on that deep down belief.

The banks buying the points are a HUGE source of income for the airlines; the level of cooperation is incredibly high.

LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  8. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we now have confirmation over on my similar thread at FT. :(

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    link?

10. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    And what are we talking about as a too soon closure? Why would you want to close something down anyway rather than swap it with a no fee card or get some sort of incentive to keep the card another year?

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What confirmation? I basically read three different responses to your thread over there and your question on the other site said nothing about closing the card too soon.

I hope you are not going down the route on getting miles for purchase and hoping to keep the miles by returning the item are you?

12. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18936074-post6.html

No, that's not what I'm planning to do. But out of curiosity, why did you ask?

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    YES! I just found that Citibank revoked my 25,000 bonus Thank You bonus points for opening a checking account.

Got the offer, opened the account, completed the mandatory direct deposits and bill pays, earned the points, got them deposited, and then a month later closed the account (*there was NO fine print about length of time account needed to stay open....just that account had to be open and in good standing at time points posted).

Two months later, Citibank revoked points.

Call to customer service reveals that closure of account at ANY time after points post means you have 60 days to use them. It triggers your bonus points to have a 60 day expiration date that is not revealed in account details.

15. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what i understand your points were forfeited, they weren't revoked. Most bank/credit card in-house points are forfeited when your account is closed. A situation would occur with forfeiting American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards points after the account they're posted to is closed.

16. sk8uno

sk8uno Member

Status Points:
    Right, this sounds like a forfeiture, not a revoking. But even if they were revoked, we already know that banks can revoke from their own program. The original question is whether a bank can revoke from a program it doesn't administer.