Has anyone every managed to buy a ticket and upgrade with Avios

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by robinseattle, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. robinseattle

robinseattle New Member

Status Points:
    I have tried to do this for a year now. This morning I tried to buy full fare premium economy and upgrade to club from Seattle to London. No availability for the next year!!!

MX likes this.
  2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer is yes. I frequently use Avios to upgrade revenue tickets.

But SEA-LHR is a tough route. Your best strategy - providing you are prepared to take the risk of travelling in WT+ - is to book the underlying revenue ticket and then keep checking for availability to upgrade. On a route like SEA, where there is very healthy J demand - your best chance of availability will arise in the week prior to departure.

Globaliser and MX like this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    As do I.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have processed BA upgrades with miles many times. But availability is much lower than it used to be, on most routes. So it's a lot harder than it used to be.

Some of that is a simple function of demand -- BA is selling more premium seats than they were in 2009 and 2010 for sure!

But it's also (somewhat though not entirely relatedly) a change in revenue management philosophy.

5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    rule of thumb, check, check, check and check. every time i have MFU'd it has been very close to the day of my flight. sometimes F space opens and people MFU to there and then than opens a CW seat etc. you just have to keep checking. YVR and SEA are tough though.

6. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was successful in using the 2 companion tickets i got from spending $3000 on the BA visa in 2 calendar years , booking 4 first class tickets on the same flight, i just kept trying !!!

7. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've upgraded on several RTs in the past year, nearly all of them 24-48 hours before departure. I'd recommend calling BA just inside the 24 hour mark before departure if nothing has opened up in the weeks leading up to your flight.