Has anyone else been on the Chernobyl tour in Ukraine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FirstClassQueen, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

FirstClassQueen Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, and WOW! I hesitate to admit this, but in my college days I was into what we called "urban exploration." I'm sure it was illegal, but we would "break" into abandoned buildings to explore and take pictures. I put "break" into quotes because we NEVER broke or damaged anything, but we were certainly trespassing. We entered through passages that were already open. Please do not judge me because it was a number of years ago (past the statute of limitations), and I understand it was wrong and stupid. But I cannot emphasize enough that we never damaged any place we explored. That being said, I would strongly advise people not to engage in such tomfoolery as it can be VERY dangerous, in addition to being illegal. I actually had a couple close calls, and respiratory ailments are not uncommon amongst urban explorers. Anyhow, my favorite buildings to explore were abandonded insane asylums, but Chernobyl... I cannot even put into words how exciting it would be for me to be able to explore such a place. Just like the asylums, so full of sadness, yet so informative... A true reminder of the terrible mistakes of our past.

PS: Are those gas masks in the second picture from the top? I am not too familiar with radiation and its effects, but I would think these would not have provided much safety from the radiation. It would be tragic if the first responders at Chernobyl had worn these thinking they provided some level of protection if they in fact did not.

Particularly in the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster, I am reminded of the heroic Soviet helicopter pilots, most notably Anatoly Grishchenko, who wore similar face masks while dumping water and cement on Chernobyl, saving thousands of people, only to die soon after. There are several videos of these heroic pilots, literally on suicide missions, on Youtube. Terribly moving stuff. It makes me grateful that such heroism has not yet been needed at the Fukushima plant.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Have you ever visited Dachau, the concentration camp outside of Munich?

2. I'm not so sure that some of the Fukushima workers haven't been adversely affected by the radiation. For instance, the ones who walked through contaminated water that leaded through their boots were probably harmed as were the two who died when the wave came.

4. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife took a private tour of Chernobyl back in 2006 when she was studying in Ukraine. She said that is was the weirdest place she's ever visited. I didn't know they opened it up to the public. Great pictures though!

5. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not open we were on a bootleg tour rant by a vcompany
    i think some of it was just staged for us.

N965VJ and Chimpy like this.
  6. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks We took a tour that we found on lonely plant, so we thought it was a good one when we got back to the US we found out that all the tours was a bootleg .

N965VJ and Chimpy like this.
  7. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey MSPeconomist I have been to Dachau and I did not take even on pic it is a permanent image in my mind.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A tip for using MP:

You can fix up the quote by moving the [/quote] from the very end of your message to the place where my quoted words end. You need to type your message after the [/quote] when replying to a message.

It's good to delete the part of the quote that isn't needed, as you did.

9. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the info MSPeconomist

Chimpy likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw an article about this today on MSNBC.com.

If the fact that you'd be going TO CHERNOBYL isn't frightening enough, the parts about not doing anything such as sitting down or deviating from any part of the planned route, for health reasons, doesn't appeal to me.

The end of the article mentions the need to be checked for radiation after the tour.

No, but thanks anyway.

11. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    What gave you that impression?

FirstClassQueen likes this.
  12. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When we got back home to the USA we saw on yahoo that the tours were going to start this year.

13. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    RE: Question #1: No I have not. My "exploring" was more focused on truly abandoned places. That is why I find the idea of exploring Chernobyl so fascinating. Not so much the plant itself, but the abandoned city, Pripyat, that the workers lived in. Such places not only serve as a reminder of the tragedy that occurred, but also as an undisturbed (except by nature) snapshot of a bygone time.

RE: Question #2: Unfortunately, I am sure they have. I did not mean otherwise. To clarify, what I meant was no one at Fukushima has, as far as I know, had to go on what I referred to as a "suicide mission." In my mind a suicide mission is a mission where the individual undertaking it understands that they will not survive it. Though malevolent and cowardly, the true opposite of the benevolent, heroic Chernobyl pilots, WWII era Kamikaze pilots and the suicide bombers of today are two of examples of people I would say were on suicide missions; they knew they would not return alive.

While everyone at the Fukushima plant, and obviously those who already perished there are VERY brave and heroic for their efforts, I do not believe any of them ever felt that their mission would result in certain death. Much like a soldier going into battle, I believe they understood/understand that death is a possible outcome, but far from a certain result.
    On the other hand, I believe that the Soviet pilots referenced above, who were tasked with flying into a visible cloud of radiation with little to no protective gear, understood (correctly) that their mission would result in their deaths, if not instantly as in the two aforementioned examples of suicide missions.

N965VJ likes this.
  14. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went on the Chernobyl tour in February this year. A nice and informative tour. Well worth the $190!

N965VJ likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Chernobyl is one of those places that I won't visit for another 24,000 years. Several years ago, I saw a ton of photos when "Kid of Speed" hit Slashdot:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

While it's disputed that she really rode her bike around the area of Chernobyl, the pictures are pretty interesting.

In any case, I wouldn't want to go on a trip where I have to have my radiation "intake" checked at the end. Lots of other places on my to-do list that are equally interesting and less dangerous.

16. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is said that on the Chernobyl tour, you are exposed to radiation levels lower than what you would be exposed to on a flight from Europe to the US.
    Read about the tours here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Chernobyl

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They say the same about the nude-o-scopes and yet I opt out.

I really don't need to take a tour of a place where I need to observe warnings such as

"If you bring meals and drinks with you, make sure to keep them well sealed, and avoid opening/consuming any food or drinks within the 10 km area around the power plant. Clean your hands thoroughly before touching any food."

N965VJ likes this.
  18. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not too sure chernobyl is somewhere you want to go before the kids phase of life. Maybe after

FirstClassQueen likes this.
  19. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never thought about a tour like this, but heard about it at the Chicago DO and am very intrigued.
    Would you mind pointing me to the tour company you used?
    I assume the tour departs from Kiev?
    Do you know the closest city that AA flies to and how to get there? Kiev did not return any flights at aa.com when I tried?
    How many days would you recommend for Kiev?

I appreciate any guidance.

20. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked the tour through the hostel I was staying in. I stayed at Kiev Lodging Hostel, and it seems you can book the tour through their website. But I guess most hotels / tour operators in Kiev would be able to book you on one of these trips. Be sure to book in advance though, as the tours doesn't depart every day, and they might get fully booked.

I think that OW airlines BA and AY fly to Kiev from LHR and HEL. You could try connecting via those hubs?
    I flew in on LH via FRA.

We were there for a long weekend (Thursday - Monday), and I thought that was enough.

In Kiev, we went on a free walking tour with friendly english speaking guides, and also shooting with AK-47's at a shooting range. The AK-47 shooting was a little pricey, but well worth it.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  21. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the help and the point in the right direction!! I am getting excited about an off the beaten path adventure.

SK2868 likes this.
  22. Anastasiia_Lushyna

Anastasiia_Lushyna New Member

Status Points:
    Ladies and Gentlemen!
    I'm writing my master thesis about tourism in Chernobyl, and your opinion is very-very important for me. Please, spend 5 minutes of your time and complete the survey (in English), I would really appreciate that! Thanks in advance, and good luck to you!
    http://questionpro.com/t/AKzYMZQ3DA

23. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    have you checked to see if you now "glow in the dark" ? :eek: