Has anyone booked an Award Flight LAX <-> BKK

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I've been planning to take the fiance & my parents to Thailand early next year or late this/next year and was poking around on AA.com to look at award flights (costs/fuel/etc). However Everytime I put an LAX <-> BKK AA.com gives me an error saying none available. Since the dates are so far in advance; my dates are flexible, i just picked a random day out in the future but it seems like they';re all unavailable. My first thougth was maybe you can not book a flight LAX <-> BKK but it seems like you can book a paid flight, but every date i picked there are just no award flights.

2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get award flights from LAX-BKK, but they don't provide you the availability online. AA doesn't fly there directly, so you would most likely flight on AA/Japan Airlines to Tokyo and then connect on Japan Airlines to BKK, or Cathay Pacific (CX) to BKK via a connection in Hong Kong.

If your dates are far out (and are not peak travel dates), your best bet would be to ring up AA and see what they can find for you. If you wanted to research yourself, you could need to explore availability on AA (to NRT), and via Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific via their respective websites, and then present them back to an AA phone agent to see if they can put something together.

Getting four seats on the same flights on the same dates might be a problem - good luck!

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was reading that; if it doesnt work out I can fly out 2 of them on UA/Thai

And thanks for the info to look @ JAL/Cathay

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look segment-by-segment, searches with connections often don't work as well as they should. Ie:search lax-hkg first, then hkg-bkk second.

You could fly AA to nrt, then jal down to bkk on a single award.

If you are looking for economy awards, not peak holiday weekends, I suspect you'll have no issue finding four seats. If you are looking for a premium cabin, four will be tougher (but not impossible).

Let us know how you end up!

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I found seats using LAX -> HNL -> NRT [Hawaii Airlines] & then NRT -> HKG -> BKK [Cathay]... but not sure if the NRT -> BKK route has saver econ availability. Guess I should call them & ask once i have a thought out time table.

I cant search JAL flights because my work thinks the search site is a job searching site doh! :-/

6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get Cathay through HKG, I'd highly recommend that over AA through NRT.

NYBanker likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cant seem to book award tix through AA LAX -> HKG.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, you'd need to call to do this.

You can only book awards that use American, Alaska, Hawaiian, and British Airways on AA.com. All other AA partners require you to call and speak to an AAgent to book. To get from LA to Thailand, Cathay (CX) through HKG is probably your most direct routing using AA miles.

edekba likes this.
  9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've got some time and energy to burn, you can actually get a good idea of Cathay award availability without calling, and, as such, if you're armed with the proper info before you make the call, you'll get much better results.

I generally do this via KVS Tool, which is a whole world unto itself, and isn't an easy place to get up and running, doesn't play easily with Macs, and costs money.

So my second route is British Airways. Here's pretty good in-depth info on how to accomplish this:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/...-8-finding-cathay-pacific-award-availability/

Another note is that AA will charge you probably $30 per ticket, $25 of which is a phone booking fee. Everyone complains about this since there is no alternative route, but, in fact, we've all never seen it get waived, so save your energy on that one if you were inclined to fight it.

edekba likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think if you really will be ok to do a four connection journey. Free flights are nice....but that is a lot of stops!