Has anyone been in a AA focus group?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by stu52, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if there's anyone here who has been involved with a focus group or marketing research study for AA?

I for one would love to be part of a focus group related to their food offerings since that seems to be a point of contention among other frequent fliers.

It would be interesting to hear about the experiences of anyone who may have been involved with such a study.

2. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have held a few in London the last two years. Paid as well, but they pick the topic...

3. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at a focus group about two years ago here in the US. You receive 10,000 miles for participating and it lasted about 90-minutes. Since it was a while ago, my memory is a bit foggy but one of the things that came out of those particular focus groups at the time was the shrink wrapping of all F/J blankets domestically. In fact the focus group was about the domestic premium experience and was led by an AA employee from their research department.

There was discussion about the food and some of the memorable comments I recall was one person wanting simple meals such as a skinless chicken and others making a point that they prefer not to see the carts in the aisle because they don't like to see the removal of the aluminum foil and saran wraps that the food comes wrapped in. The inconsistency of the PDB was also mentioned by the group.

One fellow thought the solution to all of AA's problems was to get new planes. [​IMG]

4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have gone to one in London. To summarize, 'tho, current advertising campaigns re: AA's transatlantic business class product of AA were reviewed as to their perceived effectiveness, and several ideas on the drawing board for new marketing initiatives were presented for review and discussion. Had to sign an agreement not to disclose details of what those forthcoming ideas were. "You've GOT to be kidding" was the general reaction to the ideas presented. Invited by AA. Held in a small meeeting room at a non-major-chain hotel in central London, paid approx. £50 (cant recall exactly), meeting lasted under two hours, sandwiches/snacks/teas/coffees/juices provided, hosted/moderated by an indepndent market research firm contracted by AA. Several present were either high-revenue customers, and/or responsible for their company travel. But not everyone there was in that role, either. Attendees came from erveral industries, incl. law, finance, entertainment, healthcare, and academia. Frequent transatlantic business class travel seemed to be the ONE common denominator to this varied group. As for current adverts, consensus was that the Kevin Spacey campaign simply showcased a lonely business traveler, w/o much of a nod to AA's product. As for new ideas, the consensus was that AA needs to take whatever funds it was considering in marketing that product and redeploy them towards improving it. Around the table, I heard incredibly candid, heated, and I mean HEATED, complaints about cabin crews. A lot of complaints about the NGBC, that it makes the planes, especially the 767's, claustrophobic, that the seats and IFE rarely work well, etc. More than one said they were looking at taking their company travel elsewhere.
    Did it work? Was the feedback effective? Who knows. I still fly AA to/from London, and havent' seen much of a change in their TATL business class offering, niether hard product nor in-flight service. I have NOT seen any of the advertising campaigns they were thinking of introducing, so perhaps that part of the feedback was clear.

I think if one has genuine concerns about their customer experience, using the "e-mail customer relations" route via aa.com, or a printed letter to AA, is still the standard way to express such concerns/complements.

5. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
    I was in a NYC focus group. It related to Admirals Clubs.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been in a DFW focus group on international premium class alcoholic beverage selections. This was about 3 years ago. We got to taste test a few potential offerings and I was compensated 10,000 miles.

I've seen several ideas from that focus group come to fruition including a change in pre departure fizz as well as more detailed wine descriptions on the printed menus. The switch to Pommery came after that too. After we finished, a couple reps from AA came out from behind the glass and talked to a couple of us. I seem to remember first hearing about the pre-landing sparkling water here too.

We did side-by-side tastings of Kaluha/Starbucks coffee liquor and Baileys/Starbucks cream liquor. We all panned the Starbucks and several folks who had NO opinion about anything else were very adamant that they had better not mess with Kaluha and/or Baileys!!!

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not AA, but I was invited to be in a Delta focus group when I lived in Cincinnati. A number of questions about service - at the time, pretty much everyone in the room lamented the high fares, with several noting that they drove to LEX, SDF, or DAY to save substantial money.

I assume AA's focus groups will be similar.

I did get a lovely parting gift: a model of the original Delta DC-3 adorns my bookshelf.