Has anybody ever used a Fly Rail Baggage ticket to check skis out of SEA to the slopes?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Punki, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have received some Fly Rail Baggage tags for skis and ski equipment from our dear friend, so we can check our skis straight through to Wengen from Seattle.

Has anybody ever done this out of Seattle? How does it work?

I called LH and they acted like they had no idea what I meant.

jbcarioca and PAinNY like this.
  2. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a report of our use of the Fly Rail Baggage tags for skis and ski equipment SEA/FRA/ZRH and then on to the beautiful mountain ski village of Wengen, Switzerland.

When we arrived at SEA with our green baggage tags, checking our skis and ski equipment from Seattle through to Wengen, the agents were pretty clueless. We just advised that under no circumstances were the tags to be removed.

OK, I was honestly wondering if we would ever see that stuff again, but lo and behold as we disembarked the train in Wengen Hunki recognized his hard case ski carrier which was also being unloaded from the train. Shortly thereafter, we discovered our bag stuffed with our ski gear. Will wonders never cease?

We then learned that the "guarantee" is that your gear will at your resort on the first train the moring following your arrival, but that they often arrive the same day. In this instance, at least, the whole system seemed to work like a charm.

:)

jbcarioca, PAinNY and alex0683de like this.
  3. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a very handy system. I had no idea it existed. Thanks for sharing!

jbcarioca and Punki like this.
  4. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Swiss reliability...! [​IMG]

So you just stick such a tag onto your luggage on checkin and at ZRH they'll check it through to your rail station? How does the customs procedure work? And how do you buy those Fly Rail baggage tags? And finally, what is the cost of this great service?

5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, ralf, that's how it worked--seamlessly from Seattle to Wengen.

The tags were purchased for us by a friend in Switzerland and mailed to us with instructions that we were not to include anything "new" in the bags, just our skis, gear and clothes. Customs did look in the packages as they had TSA notes inside when we opened them in Wengen. I believe they cost about $20 each, I remember seeing 20 but don't remember if that was dollars or francs.

I will check an see if they can be bought on line.

6. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago, when I used to fly Swissair EWR-ZRH they always had the service for your luggage. It was $15 per bag and it was delivered to the town you requested. I go to Flims which is about a half hour from Chur and they would put it on the train and then bus it to the Post. Was really a nice deal. Don't think it ever continued with Swiss

PS - enjoy Wengen!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did that twice a year NYC-Zermatt. The skis always arrived in Zermatt with us and usually were in our hotel room by the time we had wandered in. Zermatt, without cars, is a bit different than other locations.

Frankly I thought they'd dropped it when SR disappeared. I am glad it is still available. SF20/US20 either is a good deal IMO.

PAinNY likes this.