Has American cut flights, particularly to central Europe?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Counsellor, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually when checking for flights to Germany, one could find numerous flights on AA metal. Within the last few weeks, it seems to me most of the "AA" flights to Germany are operated by US Air through US Air hubs (CLT, PHL).

It also looks as though AA has cut back on other flights as well (e.g., ORD-RSW). Now what you get seems to be "AA" flights operated by US Air, again through US Air hubs.

Is this accurate, or just my perception?

(I have a related question, but will start a new thread for it.)

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I haven't seen any drastic route-cutting by either airline so far. Keep in mind they won't be operating off a single certificate with (hopefully) labor agreements in place for quite a while. US has consistently had quite a few frequencies to Western Europe. That said, it does make sense to combine routes where it is efficient and serve an overall goal of more profit. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what you're seeing. I bet @Wandering Aramean can chime in more conclusively. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I'm aware, AA only flies to Frankfurt in Germany, and pulled back service to there several years ago. There are probably some direct codeshares, but they'll be on Air Berlin metal.

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with @Franklybrit that there really weren't ell that many options recently anyways on AA metal. DFW/FRA could get you to Germany (and ORD-DUS; thanks for the update) but otherwise you were going to be on a partner. Plus there's the part where Germany isn't really Central Europe. ;)

As for ORD-RSW, I see 4x daily in the spring and 1x in the summer. It is back up to 2x in November.

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
    Code:
    Flight Timetable -- ORD-RSW for date: 20140418 at 00:00 on American
    Carrier|Flight|From |To   |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
    AA     |1480  |ORD  |RSW  |07:05    |10:55    |1234567 |M80      |2:50    |          |
    AA     |1477  |ORD  |RSW  |09:40    |13:30    |1234567 |M80      |2:50    |          |
    AA     |1418  |ORD  |RSW  |12:45    |16:35    |1234567 |738      |2:50    |          |
    AA     |1474  |ORD  |RSW  |18:10    |22:00    |1234567 |738      |2:50    |          |

Code:
    Flight Timetable -- ORD-RSW for date: 20140718 at 00:00 on American
    Carrier|Flight|From |To   |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
    AA     |1477  |ORD  |RSW  |10:20    |14:05    |1234567 |M80      |2:45    |          |

Code:
    Flight Timetable -- ORD-RSW for date: 20141118 at 00:00 on American
    AA     |1480  |ORD  |RSW  |07:30    |11:15    |------- |M83      |2:45    |          |
    AA     |1477  |ORD  |RSW  |10:20    |14:05    |------- |M80      |2:45    |          |