Hard Pull for auto rejection

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TUMD, Mar 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read something about this on Flyertalk awhile ago but can not recall exactly what it said. When you apply for a Citi card and you are automatically rejected because you have the same card already ( like the AA Plat) do they actually preform a hard inquiry? Since they are not even considering you for the card I had read somewhere that they may not. Does anyone have any insite into this?

USAIRSBY, Kalboz, MX and 1 other person like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule making an application automataclly produces an inquiry. Application processing typically begins with that, then qualification algorithms follow. Thus reject reasons apply after the inquiry. Some very cost-conscious issuers do apply eligibility criteria prior to an inquiry but YMMV because some will alter policy acceptance/rejection based on credit file contents, not necessarily score-related, as in the case of multiple accounts with the same credit card issuer. I hope that helps, ambiguous though it is.

satman40, Kalboz, MX and 3 others like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, Citi doesn't pull your credit report in such cases IME. They would even state in their rejection letters that no credit report was used to reach the decision.

Kalboz, LETTERBOY and TUMD like this.
  4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the heads up. A follow up to that, would that rejection be counted in the 8/65 rule since there was no credit pull? I imagine it would since that is kind of a CITI rule, not necessarily a credit thing.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are referring to the rules limiting frequency of applications. With Citi all applications count -- whether approved or rejected.

satman40, Kalboz and TUMD like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have canceled a Citi card only to apply for a new one the same week. I have also read where many have applied for the same card...AA Exec comes to mind lately..

Kalboz likes this.
  7. leecarl

leecarl New Member

Status Points:
    I have several friends who have gotten their second AA Exec card and am waiting for my statement to close to get my second.

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  8. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am actually on my 2nd AA Exec currently, but applied for a different Citi card I already have and was auto rejected almost 2 months ago which is why I brought up the questions since I know Citi likes you to have 6 or less inquiries in the last 6 months. Want my ducks in a row before thinking bout AA Exec 3 in a couple weeks (if the offer is still alive).

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my first Citi Executive AA MC approved on 3/12 for $15K credit, but they shut down my regular Citi Hilton Visa. 8 days later I applied and got the second Exec card for $13K LOC. Both applications generated a hard pull. Yesterday, I applied for a third and got declined because there is a two-cards limit on this product. And according to the very polite Citi phone rep, they did not do a hard pull because their internal system showed multiple applications.

MX and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I both received separate cards, as a team we have 2, total.

Maybe later we can have a total of 4,

I is a Great Deal., and it is amazing how easy the miles are in today's market..

Kalboz and MX like this.