Happy there were still off-season tickets available

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Jan 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has been stalling and stalling about whether she wanted a trip for Valentines Day or not, but I finally convinced her. It was with great trepidation that I went to the US Airways site for Award Travel, a sinking feeling that there would not be anything left. But, lo and behold, there was a cornicopia of tickets to Europe. So, I was able to grab two tickets for 30,000 points each (using my US Airways Mastercard) and $63. It feels kinda nice, but I am slightly saddened as I believe this will go away once the merger is complete. I don't think I'll ever get a ticket again this cheaply to Europe. That's why I wanted to use them now, enjoy it while you can. Combined with my Marriott points for the hotel and Hertz points for the car, I just need to buy food and gas (now...that might get pricey, but I did pick a very small car), this might be one of my least expensive vacations overall.

However, this does bring up 1 question. Is it possible to buy a GoFirst First Class ticket during those 24 hours before takeoff or are award tickets excluded from that? And, is that a gimmick, how likely is it that 2 first class tickets might be available (meaning are they already gone to Chairman Elites by that time)? This would be from PHL to MAD on Feb 13th, a Thursday.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has off-peak awards, too. Not quite as cheap - 40k r/t rather than 35k - but they exist. And they can be redeemed for one-way trips, too. I've got a 20k award on hold right now which I'm pretty happy about, especially with the ability to have a stopover in JFK on the way back into the country, even on a one-way award.

3. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I like the one way awards as well that American offers. But that difference starts to get pretty large on some of our family (5 people) trips, 150k vs 200k in points, as least for me. That's the difference between everyone is going or some get left behind :)