Happy New Year to Han Chinese on MilePoint and Everywhere!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

  1. NYCUA1K

    NYCUA1K Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,742
    Likes Received:
    5,088
    Status Points:
    4,270
    As a frequent traveler to China and other countries (e.g., SIN) with large Han Chinese population, I have many friends who, today, begin celebrating the Lunar or Chinese New Year of the Snake. This grandest of events is Thanksgiving, Christmas and the Gregorian New Year wrapped into a single 7-day, family-centric, party. In Chinese it is known, literally, as 'The Spring Festival' and some festival it is!
    So, to all:

    Xin Nian Kuai Le
    新年快樂

    cny2.jpg
     
  2. Singapore Flyer

    Singapore Flyer Silver Member

    Messages:
    808
    Likes Received:
    1,379
    Status Points:
    845
    Impressive. Using traditional characters too. :)
    Small minor correction - missing the n in Xin.
    Some Cantonese in return.
    Fung Hei Faat Choy
     
    General_Flyer, edekba, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

    NYCUA1K Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,742
    Likes Received:
    5,088
    Status Points:
    4,270
    Thank you! The missing 'n' in Xin was just mistyped, as Xin (meaning 'New') is one of my friend's first name. I just fixed it, thanks.

    Have a great "Spring Festival" celebration, Singapore Flyer!
     
  4. sobore
    Original Member

    sobore Gold Member

    Messages:
    12,421
    Likes Received:
    33,847
    Status Points:
    16,520
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

    MSPeconomist Gold Member

    Messages:
    58,563
    Likes Received:
    98,528
    Status Points:
    20,020
    Why specifically Han Chinese? Are they the only ones who celebrate "Chinese New Year"?
     
    General_Flyer and uggboy like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

    NYCUA1K Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,742
    Likes Received:
    5,088
    Status Points:
    4,270
    I am not sure but the Chinese population in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) is 92% Han, while the remaining 8% consists of 55 recognized minority groups (e.g., Uyghur, Zhuang, Hui, Tibetan, Mongol, etc). It is thus also quite likely that the Chinese population in other countries is also overwhelmingly Han...
     
    General_Flyer and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

    uggboy Gold Member

    Messages:
    50,181
    Likes Received:
    133,438
    Status Points:
    20,020
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

    MSPeconomist Gold Member

    Messages:
    58,563
    Likes Received:
    98,528
    Status Points:
    20,020
    Why not also wish a happy new year to people in Korea, Vietnam, etc.? (Also, some of the other ethnic groups within China celebrate Chinese New Year too.)
     
    General_Flyer likes this.
  9. edekba

    edekba Gold Member

    Messages:
    3,462
    Likes Received:
    3,783
    Status Points:
    2,145
    Most Vietnamese people are of Han decent... from my expierence. They do have a new year celebration, though I belive it's called tet

    And I think OP is just wishing a HNY to people of HAN decent who celebrate lunar calendar new years vs nathionalities... I don't believe Japanese/Koreans follow the lunar calendar thus they do not celebrate this "holiday"
     
    General_Flyer likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

    NYCUA1K Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,742
    Likes Received:
    5,088
    Status Points:
    4,270
    The Chinese in Korea, Vietnam, or Singapore are also overwhelmingly Han, so they are included... I am not sure what the ethnic minorities celebrate or which calendar they go by, but I wish them all a great 'Spring Festival' as well, although I doubt that any of them frequent MilePoint.;)

    Exactly.

    Wikipedia:
     
    General_Flyer and edekba like this.

Share This Page