Hanging With the Burros- Custer, South Dakota

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Jul 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

While planning a visit to Custer State Park, I knew that it had a pretty large herd of bison along with many other animals. I was curious as to what other animals called the park home.
    I found out that a small donkey called burros also lived there.
    (Check out my post about Custer State Park here.)

Initially you might think- Who cares? I didn't fly from NYC to South Dakota to see some donkeys in a park. However, these burros are wild, living freely in the park and are also very friendly.

The burros are friendly because they are always on the lookout for a free meal!
    I read that you can feed and interact with them but to be careful as they still are wild animals.

Our first stop at Custer was early on the second evening of our trip. I was on the lookout for burros and finally came across two standing around in a field. I expected them to come over to the car but they showed little interest. I decided to lower the window and wave my arm outside while holding an apple. This did the trick! One of the burros came over slowly followed by the second one.

I have to admit that I was a bit of a wimp at first. I was debating whether or not to get out of the car and decided against it. I had the window half down and was feeding the burros apples through it. This was not the best idea as the apples kept falling back into the car. Once the burros got a hold of the apples, they would bite them in half, squirting apple chunks and juice all over the car. They then went on to lick the car and window (seemed like a free car wash at first) making a mess and making it very hard to see out of the window!
    Read the rest of the post and check out lots of photos HERE

hulagrrl210 and uggboy like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Report!

This looks just lke a toll booth operator on I-294 near ORD. :eek:

[​IMG]

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL- A toll booth operator! Crackin' up!

sobore likes this.