Haneda Applications are in: HA goes from HNL/KOA hybrid

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DoT is requiring all airlines to reapply for Haneda service with the shift to daytime slots. HA has applied to keep its HNL service and add a HNL/KOA hybrid as well.

I think that HNL keeps its slot and that the HNL/KOA hybrid has a very strong chance of being awarded as it is one of the only ones I'm aware of listed as willing to take a night slot. If awarded that would serve HNL 4x weekly and KOA 3x weekly.

UA applied for EWR/SFO. AA for LAX/DFW. DL for LAX/MSP/ATL.

More details/analysis of the new Haneda slot applications on my blog if anyone cares.

(Bold codes are the cities with existing service)

Pizzaman likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do think it was a bit puzzling that DOT is making all the existing routes re-compete. If one of them doesn't gain approval again, I'll be interested to see how long they're given to wind down the route.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the bids will be decided in time to commence with summer 2017 operations (I.e. Late March 2017 start). There is a lag between application for slot times and getting them approved, even after the route in authority is granted.

I'm torn on the forced re-bid. On one hand it makes sense to ensure the best end situation for competition. On the other, these airlines invested in the routes even when flight times sucked, partially with the belief/hope/precedent that it would carry over if the times changed. Oops.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think that's my chief concern. The slots before were crappy and likely lead to outsize losses. Their reward? Potentially nothing.