Haneda Airport

Discussion in 'Asia' started by NYC_Gal, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be going to Japan this summer. My scheduled flight lands at 10pm. I read that there will be a few international flights landing around the same time, I don't think we can leave the airport until 11pm. The last monorail leaves 12:10am.

So my questions :
    1. Will the JR Rail pass counter still be opened at HND to activate my voucher that late?
    2. I am planning stay at Westin Tokyo. If subway is already closed, how much is cab ride from Tokyo station (Hamamatsucho?)? Is there a taxi line or do I hail on the street?
    3. Should I save the money and stay in an airport hotel for 1 night instead?
    4. If I managed to catch the subway, can I still buy Suica card that late?

I hope there will be a sticky on HND transit once the international flights start. It's not fun to try to buy the passes, exchange money & catch a train after long jetlag, while trying to beat the clock. Feel like Cinderella.

Thanks!

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, the JR rail pass counter at Haneda will not be open, it closes at 6:30pm.

Why would you worry about the subway to the Westin, you shouldn't take the subway! And you wouldn't go to Tokyo station, it takes you out of the way. Take the train to Shinagawa or the monorail to Hamamatsucho, then take the Yamanote line to Ebisu and you are there. If you have bags you might want a taxi from Ebisu station (normally one walks it), that fare would be Y710. The Yamanote line runs until at least 12:30am.

If transit is all finished, take the taxi directly from Haneda. In the middle of the night it will likely cost Y5,000 however (cab fares go up by 30% between 11pm and 5am).

No, don't stay at the airport. You want to be in Tokyo.

Yes you can buy a Suica or Pasmo card that late, there are machines which vend those, or any ticket agent will sell you one (these are agents at the entrance, different from the JR rail pass exchange).

The next day, you can exchange for your JR pass at Shibuya station, one stop away on the Yamanote line.

BTW, if your flight lands at 10pm, you should have no problem getting public transit. Haneda is one of the most efficient airports in the world.

Sarah likes this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    What did you mean by once international flights start? It has been started for a couple of months already :p

Are you just transiting and have to catch an early morning flight the next day or you are spending a few days in Tokyo? :confused:

4. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA started to fly HND this month? I didn't realize it started earlier.
    No I'm not transitting. I'm staying in Tokyo for couple days then onto Kyoto. Westin Tokyo costs a lot of points for a night, and I wonder if I should stay at the airport that night and save some points.

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's true that Haneda is the 5th busiest airport in the world, but in the end it's just an airport. You're presumably travelling a considerable distance to get a taste of Japan. Don't waste part of the trip by spending a night at the airport and having to backtrack to either the old or new hotel because you'll need to store bags until your room is ready.

6. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting to HND early in the morning: Some people have been asking about this on FT, so here is what I have figured out so far.
    • Minimum check-in time: 60 minutes is the normal cutoff for international flights in Japan. JL will let you drop bags up to 40 minutes before departure IF you have checked in online (thanks JALPak).
    • Bus: Early morning is available on some, but not all, limo bus routes to HND. The big Shinjuku hotels all seem to be covered. First buses arrive around 5:15 or 5:30, which should provide enough time to check in for 6:30-7AM departures such as DL HND-DTW and AA HND-JFK. Check schedules here.
    • Monorail: First train leaves Hamamatsucho at 4:58, arrives intl terminal at 5:13. Nonstop service. You can make this train using the first Yamanote Line service of the morning, but only from the east side of the line (Ikebukuro, Ueno, Tokyo, Shinagawa, Osaki), NOT from the west side (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ebisu). Trains then run roughly every 10 minutes. Check schedules using Hyperdia. The monorail station is called "Haneda Airport International Building."
    • Keikyu: First train leaves Shinagawa at 5:15, arrives intl terminal at 5:30. You should be able to connect to this one from any Yamanote Line station. Trains then run roughly every 10 minutes. The Keikyu station is called "Haneda Airport International Terminal."
    • Taxi: Expect to pay 6-10,000 yen from central Tokyo depending on your origin and route.
    • Area hotels: I suggest using Rakuten to search for these. HND is one of the area options after choosing "Central Tokyo area." Going rate seems to be 8,000-10,000 yen per night for decent business hotels like Toyoko Inn and JAL City. These hotels have free shuttle buses to the airport starting around 4:30 AM
    Getting back late at night is easier. Trains keep running until just after midnight, and limousine buses operate one last run after the final trains depart HND.

KIXman, JALPak and eap like this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    For JL HND international flights, min arrival time to drop off your bags is 40 minutes before departure as long as you have checked in online.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/quic-i/

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't say AA's JFK-HND flight. You only mentioned int'l flights :rolleyes:

But as other posters have suggested, go somewhere else and don't waste a night at the airport/airport hotel! It can save you some time the next morning :)

9. noskates

noskates Active Member

Status Points: