Hands Free Hop! Suitcase Could Revolutiize Plane Travel [SEE VIDEO]

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Oct 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.travelerstoday.com/artic...ree-hop-suitcase-revolutiize-plane-travel.htm

Overpacked suitcases can be a literal pain when traveling. There's nothing more annoying than having to lug a huge suitcase to the airport. Now, travelers with a penchant for overpacking could have a load lifted off their shoulders with a new suitcase that follows you around with the push of a button.
    Hop! Is a new travel gadget on the market that follows its owner through the airport. It has no handles or wheeling, reports ABC News.

Terminalu.com reported that the inventors behind the genius suitcase created a prototype and the technology behind it uses a Bluetooth signal that is hooked up to your phone. The suitcase then moves toward the phone, which is naturally, attached to the human.
    If the phone loses signal for some reason the suitcase self locks and then alerts the owner by vibrating the phone, terminalu.com reported.
    The YouTube video below shows a demonstration of Hop! ABC News reported that "According to the video, the sensors in the suitcase triangulate the signal. A microprocessor drives the suitcase on two Caterpillar tracks."
    Read More: http://www.travelerstoday.com/artic...ree-hop-suitcase-revolutiize-plane-travel.htm

2. nmt12

nmt12 Member

Status Points:
    Its a pretty cool concept. However, having it follow me would cause me to have to keep looking back to make sure its still there...LOL And I'm a fast walker so I wonder if it can keep up.

marcwint55 and anabolism like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds cool - but I wonder if the caterpillar tracks wouldn't make it heavy (for when there are stairs, etc)

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It says if it loses the signal it locks itself and alerts you by vibrating the phone, so maybe you don't have to keep looking back. But, in the video the person is walking slow. Can it keep up when you're walking fast, trotting, or outright running for the gate?

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Undoubtedly this will require a bunch of electronics in it -- bluetooth, servos and what-not -- plus batteries to power the wheels and everything else. Imagine what that looks like going through the x-ray machine.

As soon as this goes through security, you're going to get a very intimate massage from the TSA.

marcwint55 and iterfacio12 like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    looks great, but what happens when Hop has fallen and can't get up! :eek::D

marcwint55, sobore and nmt12 like this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    to say nothing of all those batteries and motors... <lol>

DTWBOB

anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    And even more if they added rotor wings to deal with those pesky stairs:D

anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love technology, but i am not about to trust my valuables to something like this.

10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you imagine trying to walk that through ORD during peak periods lol.

11. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The suitcase looks clunky to me. But I can see how it would be useful for travelers with disabilities or for parents who already have their hands full carrying around babies, diaper bags, etc.

12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    And if it's too heavy, how are you going to lift it up into the bin?

talkerfly likes this.
  13. talkerfly

talkerfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask a flight attendant or fellow passenger to do it for you because you didn't feel like checking a bag. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, with the machinery in it (which has weight), it means you can put LESS stuff in it, not MORE, to avoid going over the carry-on weight limit.