Hand towels in F now accompanied by dry ice?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Frequent Freak, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this on ORD-DEN yesterday (UA 301, 12 June). When the FA came around with hot towels before landing, the basket had a cup of dry ice. It was a pretty cool effect, and the FA said they can put a lemon or some other scent in there to freshen up the F cabin. In fact the cabin did have a slight lemony fresh scent, although maybe I was imagining things.

This was the first time I've seen this. Not a big deal, though, and I'd prefer to have my UA blankets back. Has anyone else experienced this yet?

savydog likes this.
  2. fadeforward

fadeforward Active Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this once before. I think the dry ice is used for something more functional like cold food storage, and some FAs just like to add a bit of flair, which I support fully.

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flair indeed.

Usually it's accompanied by the FA announcing, "Smoking hot towelsssss!"

It's a nice change whenever I see it.

karenkay likes this.
  4. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey! I had a male FA on a HNL-LAX flight that said exactly that when using the dry ice.

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not seen the dry ice treatment for towels, but when serving ice cream. It is very cool.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the little things that can make or break a flight. Always nice to add little extras.

7. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting. I've always thought that dry ice was considered a hazard material and not to be taken aboard an aircraft.

8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dry ice isn't really hazardous unless you're placing it under intense pressure or touching it with your skin. FedEx and UPS consider it a hazardous material because they never know what else is packed around it that, if it came into contact via broken package, would react in some way or another. Remote to nigh impossible for that situation to occur on an aircraft.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the hazards Mackieman identifies there is also the part where it sublimates into CO2. If too much of that happens it can impact the regular air and impact breathing as I understand it. Airlines that do permit dry ice to be carried limit the total volume on board to address this issue.

The fact that dry ice is so light relative to the cooling power it brings makes it the obvious choice for keeping things which need to remain cold in that state during the trip.

10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. That's why airlines often use it to pack ice cream in the catering trolleys.

11. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    (pdf warning) FAA says DOT will allow 2 kilograms in checked or carry-on luggage as long as the container is properly vented (to avoid pressure build-up, and dare I say... an explosion).

As per usual, TSA's stance on the matter is less than clear:
    And props to the FAA for including a photo of Pabst Blue Ribbon to clarify the permissible types of alcohol. ;)

12. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think there would be an overall limit for dry ice for the entire plane. Hypothetically, if every passenger brought on 2 kg of dry ice... that is not a plane I would want to be on.

13. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points: