Hand Carry luggage question -- for J and F cabins

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by secretsea18, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently purchased J + F SQ tickets and am in the process of coordinating my packing for my trip. The first is EWR-SIN.

I see on the 'new and improved' SQ website that J and F cabins are permitted two 7kg bags for hand carry. Are they strict with the weight? Who has anything that goes into a bag that weighs just 7kg?

So my questions are:

Does the GA or check in counter at EWR SQ actually weigh the hand carry bags?

Do they actually permit above the hand carry allowance the items listed on the website, such as laptop, reading material, camera, etc... so can you just take them in another bag or remove them from the weight allowance???

Are they real with only permitting three bags to check in at 23kg each (includes the *Gold Elite extra bag) in J and F tickets? Such a small amount of luggage for an F ticket from the US...

Thanks for your answers in advance!

General_Flyer likes this.
  2. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly Y, and generally have a roller cabin case and a small laptop bag. Never had any issues. I've also never had my hand luggage weighed by SQ. Now, I haven't travelled out of EWR, but I imagine with it being all-J, you should have no problem. As for checked bags, I don't know about J and F and extra allowances, but have found SQ to be pretty flexible with weight, within the bounds of reason.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on five SQ RTs during the last year or so, but not involving EWR or the all J flights, I've never seen hand luggage weighed or inspected at the check in counters, but I have seen GAs/supervisors on the jetway, especially at JFK, calling people over, including those in business class, to have the staff person try to lift the luggage and declaring (a lot of) it as too heavy/must be checked at the gate. If FC isn't full, the FAs will put larger/heavier carry on under the tables/TV screens of empty seats. I think the weight carry on restriction is based on the weight that SQ overhead bins are designed to handle.

My impression is that the 23 kg limit per checked bag is enforced loosely for FC and biz, but they do notice the weight at check in. Anything over by very much might be an issue, but they do seem to allow a few pounds slip by, perhaps with a comment. Personally, I hate having the limit be 20 or 23 kg rather than 30 because I find it much harder to manage and watch multiple smaller bags than one larger checked one for long trips.

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience flying with SQ, I find that the check-in/gate agents are usually very lenient in enforcing checked/carry on baggage rules. Never once had I had to weigh or gate check my carry-ons and I'd seen people with more than one carry-on bags boarded flights without problem, some even with roller bags that I thought was way too big to be brought into the cabin.

As for checked bags, I've never been above the limits when I flew F or J but have been a few times when flying Y. They will usually let it pass if it's only 5 kgs above the limit.

General_Flyer and SQ LPP like this.
  5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new checkin bag weight is 23KG each piece to/from US. Two pieces allowed.

6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    *G is allowed 3 pieces of 23KGs each.

On the luggage thing, SQ ground services tend to 'overlook' some overweight luggage in F. J sometimes depending on the mood they will get you but in my case, I've always had the pleasure of wonderful service and hassle free check-in.

IMO, SIN agents are much harsher which is true of MI agents as they are very strict.

If it helps, I once had carried 4 items of luggage with me due to my misunderstanding of the PPS baggage rule. I had two suitcases and two special items in boxes.

The agent in LAX was extremely helpful and although she straightened me up, she allowed me to take 4 pieces since the other two are smaller and can be packed as one item. In the end, it all went very well. I was traveling in F at the time.

I've flown SQ usually 2x trans-pac which may not be as much as other passengers, but everytime, they are very lenient on both carry-on and luggage. Weight limitation, as long as its reasonable (i.e. not more than 5 to 7 kgs extra) they will waive it.

I'm not sure if the following is also true when you're connecting from a UA flight with allowance of 3x30kgs if they would allow you to keep it as is..

cennas likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info and reassurance that all will be good... I thought that when I booked my trip that the F allowance was more than just 23 kg x 3 bags for *Gold. But I am more limited at my destination by my connecting flights permitting just 40 kg total :eek:. And I have dive gear and photo equipment, so ... it starts out near the max...

8. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since you started in the US anyway, and hopefully your flights will be in one itinerary, they will keep the piece concept for your use. If they don't then remind them and they will back down. Good luck and have fun! :)

secretsea18 likes this.
  9. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to report that there was no hand carry weigh in here in EWR. :)

However the fact that TSA can't tell what are AA batteries, is another issue. :(

10. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, if you are a *G flying PDX-SFO-SIN for example, you can check-in 3 pieces @ 23kg each. UA and SQ will allow you to have 3 pieces per rule.

This is a bit tricky. I mean I may misunderstood you.
    As PPS, you have double the check-in bag allowance in any class of service. Thus in F for LAX-SIN you are allowed to have 4 pieces as PPS, instead of 3 as *G.
    I got confused with your post mentioning 4 items, but two items were combined (as a result 3 pieces only).

11. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you have no problem with your carry-on.
    Many fliers whom I know, when traveling on SQ, they are generally carrying one rollerbag 20" and a computer or hand bag. And no problem at all.
    Of course, some PITAs will have a heavy roller bag or hand bag, and they expect the cabin crew to lift the bag to be stored in overhead bin. Wish that everyone use common sense. If you can't lift your own bag, it means it's too heavy. :D

12. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PPS means the same as *G, only 3 allowed luggage as opposed to 4.. I don't remember the exact wording but I think it goes along the lines of this: "PPS club members can enjoy 100% more luggage allowance on Singapore Airlines and Silk Air flights or in piece concept 1 extra piece of luggage."

LAX agent interprets this as since you're PPS, you're allowed 1 more extra piece than F/J pax which is 2 bags.

Upon close examination of the old site, I find this to be dilemmatic too..

When I travel I always tend to my items myself unless in F where the crew won't even let you touch your bags as soon as you are onboard.. Back in my PPS days, I am allowed 3 carry-ons and I was content on lifting them myself, but the purser was adamant that I should be relaxing and put all my luggage on seat 2B (middle seat don't know what the alphabetic number is). So 2 pursers male and female helped me and I was very much embarrassed.

SQ LPP likes this.
  13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, PPS is *G for StarAlliance. But PPS is treated differently on SQ.
    I believe the agent at LAX did interpret incorrectly.
    Look at here

PPS has 100% extra allowance while *G has 1 extra piece.

14. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, thanks for the verification, kind Sir. :) Now I know better.. :)