Hampton or Homewood or Garden Inn

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by youpaiyou, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks:

This is one of my first posts, so please be kind. I recently joined Hilton Honors and I recently received the AMEX Hilton Honors card. I am going to spending one night at a city that has three Hilton hotels: 1) Hampton Inn & Suits, 2) Homewood Suits, and 3) Hilton Garden Inn. The Hilton Garden Inn is the furthest away from where I need to be early the next morning, so it's my least favorite of the three choices. Nevertheless, I will stay at the Hilton Garden Inn if I'm going to miss out on a lot of points by staying at either of the other 2 Hilton hotels. All of the hotels charge about $120.00 a night. My current Hilton Honors is set up for HHonors points and fixed miles.

Here are my questions:

1) Which hotel should I stay at to get the most points and do I need to change my current settings?
    2) When should I book my room? I've read that a person can get really good hotel rates by booking the day of their stay or very close to their hotel stay. FYI: There is no possible way that any of the three hotels will sell out.
    3) My Hilton Honors online profile does not show that I have silver status (due to the fact that my AMEX card gives me Silver status). Should I be concerned?

Once again, thank you for walking me through this. I'm a rookie.

Kalboz, travelpye and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, welcome to milepoint ! :)

To your questions ... at least ones I can give input to ...

1) Which hotel should I stay at to get the most points and do I need to change my current settings?

To the best of my knowledge, the number of points you receive across these three properties will not vary based on the property you stay at unless there is a promotion going on for that property or chain of properties. You should get your base miles and any bonus miles you may be entitled to based on your HH level. The only way you would get more points for staying at the HGI would be to charge room service and other items from the pantry to your room.

This is from the HH website:

3) My Hilton Honors online profile does not show that I have silver status (due to the fact that my AMEX card gives me Silver status). Should I be concerned?

I, personally, would check with HHonors and also AX - never hurts to confirm that the two are speaking to each other and communicating your status correctly.

As an aside, of the three properties, the Homewood Suites will (a) give you the most space as you will get a 2-room suite and (b) also provide you with some food at the dinner-hour. Hampton Inn will only provide a breakfast included. HGI will, unless you have a voucher for breakfast at check-in, not include breakfast. I do not recall what HH silver entails so I am not sure if you are entitled to breakfast or not ... I suspect no? If all things are equal, or some less equal, I would stay at the Homewood Suites personally. Now a HGI will have a bar in the evening (not included) and often the Homewood Suites may also. So if you like to lounge around at the end of the day and chew the fat with others, that may be a consideration.

Kalboz and youpaiyou like this.
  3. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM is spot on. Points will be the same. Check with Amex and HHonors, HHonors site should show silver status. You can always have them add point afterwords with a missing stay request.

I also agree with his choice of preferences for brands. My order would be Homewood, HI, then HGI.

Kalboz and ACMM like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having said all that - the breakfast at the HGI will likely be the best as you can get it made to order ... but then we all eat too much anyway :p

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will want to make sure you do get your silver points as you get 15% bonus

6. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. After reading my original post, I regret not being more specific and for confusing points with miles. My concern about maximizing points/miles came from Hilton's website, which states:

"10 HHonors Base points per eligible U.S. dollar spent + 500 miles per stay (100 miles per stay at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites® and Homewood Suites)"

This language made me think that I would earn 500 miles at the Hilton Garden Inn and only 100 miles at the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites. What do you guys think?

ACMM likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No - I read it the same way, and this HH site gives even more details based on the airline. So if miles are really important to you here, then HGI will give the most it appears. As a Diamond I do not collect miles, I have enough from flying, so I choose to maximize my points. HHonors does allow you to exchange points for airline miles in your frequent flyer program, but the exchange rate varies. You can view it under the Member Services area on HH when you login.

youpaiyou likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP -- assuming you're going to be staying at Hilton's often, you want to make Gold as quickly as you can and if you poke around this forum or Flyer Talk you'll find ways to do that.

Many of us prefer HGI's because of their breakfasts (which are free if you're gold) -- they're an order of magnitude better than what you get at Hamptons !

Hilton's and Doubletree's often are older facilities that show their wear and tear.

DTWBOB

youpaiyou likes this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hgi with points and fixed miles credited to virgin Atlantic (plus sign up for their current promo that has been posted here) is potentially the best earning option, depending on how many stays you have coming up through this year.

youpaiyou likes this.
  10. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone!

ACMM likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to HHonors :) Let us know if all turns out alright for you :)

12. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Homewood Homewood Homewood. The rooms are far far bigger, you get breakfast and dinner free regardless of your status, a full sized fridge with ice maker and stovetop to cook on if you don't care for what's for dinner or are just tired of eating out.

You can earn far more than 100 miles at Homewood. If your account is set to points & variable miles, you will earn 1 point per dollar spent and at Homewood that isn't capped. I had a stay a few months back that earned me 3,000 miles.

youpaiyou and ACMM like this.
  13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's all about breakfast & day of week you'll be there. I agree with Circi's comments about Homewood, but they don't offer much in the way of food on the weekends. It's on weekdays they offer both breakfast and PM "dinner." If things were equal, I'd pick the Hilton Garden Inn --I value a made-to-offer breakfast over the limited offerings of Hampton Inn.

youpaiyou likes this.
  14. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely correct, my apology. Homewood only has the free "dinner" Mon-Thurs. Breakfast is available every day of the week. While Homewood's breakfast isn't made to order, it is much better than Hampton Inn

youpaiyou likes this.
  15. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to book the Homewood. Thanks everyone!

circi likes this.