Hamill: Retired American Airlines workers who took pay cut after 9/11 lose promised privileges

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by uggboy, Jun 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, Betty Boop and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a scandal IMHO. I hope they will now receive what was promised by AA. This story is now in the open and no-one can say "They didn't know" about it.

sobore, Newscience and Betty Boop like this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what usually happens in bankruptcy, isn't it? The company tries to cut pretty much everything. Sucks for the workers, but if the alternative is the company going out of business, the lesser of two evils would appear to me to be having a job with less pay and benefits as opposed to having no job at all.

They won't. DUI Dougie will try to reduce expenses wherever and however he can. IIRC, the US unions hated his guts, too. He won't give the AA unions anymore than the bare minimum.

Yes, but how many people will care? And of the people who do care, how many of them will care to the point where they buy from another airline? Probably not that many.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Off topic: George W Bush was arrested for drunk driving and later became President of this country. Do you refer to him at every opportunity as DUI Dubya?

I am absolutely not a fan of drinking and driving and would wish for harsher penalties. But in my opinion it doesn't really add to the atmosphere here to constantly use derogative terms like DUI Dougie or even just Douggie. It also, in my opinion, reduces the credibility of your arguments.

People won't care. I could be wrong, but from what I heard from my neighbor (a former PMUA employee-now-retiree), when UA and CO merged, the priority of retirees in non-rev travel dropped as the merged company adopted the CO policy of giving current employees higher priority. He wasn't happy about that, but yet I still see him and his wife go fairly regularly on nice trips on UA. It might have been easier to get those flights with the old PMUA rules, but he seems to enjoy his life these days...

Counsellor and bucketlist like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, GWB only had 1. Dougie's had 3. The moniker seems to fit him better.

I would think that people here are capable of filtering out any rhetoric that other posters use when evaluating their comments.

Counsellor likes this.