Halfway to Hawaii Game

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering what everyone's experiences were with the Halfway to Hawaii game since the merger. I think Hilton is sponsoring it now, but it's been hit and miss whether or not they play it. Here's my experience so far this year:

May- SFO-OGG. UA crew. Didn't play. Asked the flight attendant about it. Reported that the captain didn't want to because they were in "negociations" and he didn't want to do it. :( She offered us the prize (a Lonely Planet book). :)

July- LAX-OGG. CO crew. Didn't play. The flight attendant I asked seemed confused. This was right after they switched CO to all the Hawaii routes, so maybe they didn't know about it. Flight was also delayed 5 hours due to MX- not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Nov- LAX-HNL. CO crew. Played. Didn't win (3 min 16 sec) :(

Nov- GUM-HNL. UA HNL based crew- best ever! Love those guys. Played. I won! (1 min 32 sec) Not sure a lot of other people played though, because either I missed it (noise cancelling headsets) or they didn't announce the details so I had to ask. Gave the book to my neighbor since I already had one (see above).

Dec- LAX-OGG. CO Crew. Didn't play. Pilot didn't want to.

I realize the game is pilot's discretion, as is channel 9, but it is a fun tradition I'd like to see continued. :)

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    OGG-HNL halfway to Hawaii would be a fun one.

I have been lucky to do about 10 trips to Hawaii in the past 10 years, all pre-merger. All had the game of course.

C'mon guys, it's at least a five-hour flight. Sure, you have your regular duties, but lighten up and let the passengers have some fun.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, meant to say LAX-OGG. fixed now

...and I tend to agree with you. Not much real pilot work for them on those routes. It's a small stupid thing that keep some us us very happy :)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had one flight in Oct on a UA domestic 777 (so sUa crew) and they had the game (I didn't play).

Will report back on tomorrow's flight with a sCO crew.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

If you wish to play, I have got the winning formula here. I took this route recently but I had been up all night before the trip so I was sound asleep when the game was played! It is straightforward and I have even developed an app for Android to play the game (just need to download C for Droid)...

6. thebkwee

thebkwee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Played it on DEN-HNL just before Thanksgiving. I hit it to the exact second and won a Lonely Planet book signed by the captain and purser.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No game on my sCO flight from LAX to HNL. Wonder what happens to the book in these cases. Do the sCO not get "catered" with a LP book?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I kind of wondered the same thing after the United FA just gave us the book. What would of happened if she hadn't? Do they keep them?

9. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew LAX-HNL in October.... no game offered. Had been a CO plane, but the nice seats lie flat angled BF seats in F were well worth having no game.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mine was a 757-300 with the standard domestic F seats. I do like the CO F seats a bit better than the UA ones, but neither is really super comfortable. But for the islands all the pain is worth it ;)