Had a weird encounter with plain clothes police at the airport in Rome

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by freebird, Aug 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    As we were exiting the airport to catch a cab, we were stopped by two plain clothes police to answer few questions and flashed their badges. One guy asked the usual questions, such as what country were coming from? Why are we in Rome? How long are we staying in Rome? Then, they asked us how much cash we have in dollars and Euros? Before I answered the last question I said, the last question was making us uncomfortable, then he said, if you don't cooperate, we can do it in the back room. I asked him if it is normal for the cops to grab anyone in the airport to ask such a strange question? He said, we do this all the time. I reluctantly answer the last question, and they let us go on our way. Anyone had similar encounter at the airport in Rome?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    LarryInNYC and daninstl like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had plain clothes cops do this at FCO but I have had uniformed cops do it at FCO, usually outside of security in the main hallway area. They have a small office there on the South? side of the hall about half way down as you exit or enter from the East or SE. Usually the run a check on your passport as well and put a security code sticker on the outside of it as well.

freebird likes this.
  3. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    I immediately thought that they were scammers. Just weird talking to a stranger about how much cash we are carrying.

daninstl likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    They probably were. The Italian "Justice" system is not known to be a clean business.

daninstl and Sammich like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had similar a couple times on arrival in PSA, but they had large badges/id's on a lanyard, blue jeans and regular shirts, and they stand right in front of the immigration/customs office near baggage claim. Same questions. They were customs officers, not cops. In the O/P's case I'd want to see their badge/id and read it carefully.

freebird and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. And if in doubt, demand to be taken to an official and clearly marked airport police station/desk.

Gargoyle and freebird like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely nothing like this ever happens at any US airport or even at a roadblock near a US border.:)

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be completely clear, were they actually dressed as airplanes? Because even at the airport, that would be weird!

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been stopped in the US before boarding and ask if
    I heard the announcement, and then was ask how much cash
    I was carrying,

They did not ask me to show it, nor did they follow up with anymore questions.

I do not travel with much cash,

10. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops! :(

LarryInNYC and Gargoyle like this.