Hackers Access Zappos Customer Information

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sobore, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hackers-access-zappos-customer-information-news/

Hackers have recently gained access to customer details on the online clothing store Zappos, such as addresses, phone numbers and more. It’s a security breach affecting a possible 24 million customers. The security breach did not reveal critical credit card information. However, cryptographically scrambled passwords, the last 4 digits of the credit cards and basic customer data was exposed.

While customers can be assured that credit card exposure is limited, there is still a substantial risk to customers as the cyber criminals have accessed email addresses, shipping addresses, phone numbers, billing addresses and hashed passwords.

Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh says all customer passwords have been voided and reset as a precaution and that they encourage users to change passwords for other websites if the password used is the same as their Zappos password.

2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a good news. My wife buys shoes from them occasionally.

3. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up changing 14 passwds because of this breach. Thanks for that unscheduled password change day. I have to say they did a great job of pr and outreach on this one.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better be safe then sorry ;)