Hacked TSA master luggage keys are 3D printed

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gargoyle, Sep 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lockpickers 3-D Print TSA Master Luggage Keys From Leaked Photos

The TSA is learning a basic lesson of physical security in the age of 3-D printing: If you have sensitive keys—say, a set of master keys that can open locks you’ve asked millions of Americans to use—don’t post pictures of them on the Internet.

A group of lock-picking and security enthusiasts drove that lesson home Wednesday by publishing a set of CAD files to Github that anyone can use to 3-D print a precisely measured set of the TSA’s master keys for its “approved” locks—the ones the agency can open with its own keys during airport inspections. Within hours, at least one 3-D printer owner had already downloaded the files, printed one of the master keys, and published a video proving that it opened his TSA-approved luggage lock.

mevlannen, sobore, anileze and 4 others like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. Now we won't be able to lock our luggage again.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crap. does this means we need to get new luggage bags?

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason for carry-on luggage.

anileze, Newscience and YULtide like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is TSA actually capable of "learning a basic lesson"? :D I'd bet against that! :(

6. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly why there is no reason to lock your luggage, if they want whats inside they will get with or without a key.

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not really worried about the TSA getting in my luggage. My problem is with people at Baggage Claim Getting to my bag before I do.

anileze, Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the chances, realistically, of that happen? Sure, you occasionally read the stories in the news about theft rings, but I personally think it's highly unlikely that I would fall victim to that (compared to many other things that could negatively impact me...). Really not something I worry about... and if anyone wants my dirty underwear, be my guest. You won't find anything re-sellable in my checked bags.

anileze, Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't lock checked luggage. I don't put anything in checked luggage that I'm not willing to lose.

anileze, 8MiHi, Mapsmith and 3 others like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree. On the rare occasion that I have to check luggage, it's mostly dirty laundry. Most airports have zero security at baggage claim, if you're not watching closely someone else can (and often will) grab it and run.

However, some people have to check luggage, and have to check things that will be a major inconvenience to lose. (too many people have to use up a day of travel time shopping for replacements and filing claims).

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Define "often" - has anyone here actually experienced this?

12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes! Although it's been a while, I have caught someone leaving the bag claim are with my bag, claiming (of course) that they thought it was theirs! :rolleyes:

Part of the "problem" with retrieving luggage at the bag claim area is that ~90% of luggage on "the carousel" is black colored! Many luggage manufacturers make mostly black colored luggage, or else charge extra for luggage in a color other than black! So it's all too easy to mistake one bag for another.

One solution is to put brightly colored luggage tags and/or ribbons on the luggage handles, so that they stick out from "the pack".

anileze and Mapsmith like this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must not travel to Europe or South America where they sell premium wines? :p

Mapsmith likes this.
  14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not worried about the tsa (or anyone else) getting into my luggage I worry about the m:eek:r:mad:ns closing it back up. I have between 2 and 4 claims a year for luggage arriving at the carousel open and accompanied with a bin or box of what was formerly in said luggage.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I once was on a UA 747 that "lost" one of its engines shortly after takeoff from SFO and had to return to the airport after dumping fuel over the sierras.

I wouldn't say that this happens often because of that experience. Neither often for me nor often in the big picture considering all the 747 flights that take off every day. So I am certainly not concerned about it when booking travel.

16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    After they lost the engine did they have to file a claim with the UA lost luggage department? How did that experience go?

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Claim was denied as it was deemed a valuable item.

18. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, two of the major cases of Baggage Burglary at the Baggage Claim happened at my #2 home Airport--PHX. One couple, when they searched their home found over 300 Black Rolling Suitcases. The guy was stealing them, and then they would set up at the Swap Meet (located about a half-mile from the Airport) and sell anything of value. Including dirty clothes.

anileze, Newscience and DJP_707 like this.
  19. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's just crazy selling stuff at a swap meet that close to where they were stolen from. Imagine being there and seeing these people selling your stuff?

Dublin_rfk, anileze and Newscience like this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And why did they not sell the 300 suitcases and instead kept this evidence at their home?

Newscience likes this.
  21. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because all thieves aren't necessarily smart ones? :p

22. YRK

YRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it's universally true, but I almost always check bags and I can't recall the last time that my bags got to the baggage claim area before I did and I usually make at least two stops between deplaning and arriving at baggage claim.

23. STH1984

STH1984 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm more worried about people putting stuff IN my bags that don't belong to me. I know this is (fortunately) not an issue in all countries, but there are countries where this is a real concern...

In terms of getting stolen from I'm pretty much with most of the previous posters a) I'm not too worried and b) be my guest to steal my dirty underwear...

24. sassfb

sassfb Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, once I saw a woman take my suitcase off the carousel and start to walk away with it. I had a brightly printed strip of cloth tied around the handle--very noticeable and not like anything anyone else had on their luggage. I walked up to her and said something like "You have my bag." I pointed at the decorative fabric I had attached, and she said something like, "Oh, I didn't notice it."

In general, there is no security person who checks people leaving the baggage claim area with luggage to make sure that they have checked-luggage stickers that match the ones on their bags. I might have had this done once, but normally I just walk on out, and no one is paying attention.

25. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? Other than the post about PHX (above), I haven't heard of this happening of late. Have you stats on how often this happens and which airports at which this is likeliest to have this occur? I mostly check bags when flying internationally, which requires going through customs...and are you suggesting theft rings get through into the customs hall baggage carousels?

If the person who crafted the 3D drawings/template and posted them online was really wanting to warn TSA about their "security lapse" he or she would have added one element to ensure the actual key could not be "printed". Obviously they have no such concern and just wanted to inconvenience several million travellers who use these locks.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.