Guy jet skiing near JFK breaks down, swims to tramac and walks into terminal before getting arrested

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by adambadam, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/beach_of_security_oLGkvicnaDyzVXCUQZGi5H

Something is a little fishy about the story, pun intended, but it exposes a big flaw in a very expensive security system that was suppose to prevent this from happening and alert the authorities a little sooner.

Gargoyle, Flyer1976, sobore and 5 others like this.
  2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it happened as described....

I commend the individual for choosing living by swimming 3 miles vs dying by drowning and it looks like PANY and associated flunkies need to go back to the drawing board.

If there is "more to the story" ;), then throw the book at him but PANY and assorted flunkies STILL need to go back to the drawing board

sobore, MX, LETTERBOY and 1 other person like this.
  3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just when you think you heard it all..

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Swimming 3 miles in that water... The jury is still out on whether or not he will live :)

But it seems from the story that he actually "got caught" because he approached a Delta worker on the ramp. He might have very well managed to sneak out and walk to the taxi stands if he made his way by the employee parking or the Marine Air Terminal. What really sucks is that they might very well try to make an example out of him because he exposed that security problem. But you have to wonder how many major airports this is an issue at already. Not to mention the smaller ones... I know Teterboro or White Plains you can walk right up to the tarmac and there's barely a fence to stop you.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at the area on Google Maps and have a hard time figuring out how or why the guy swam three miles to cross runway 4L as shown in the cut-off map in the NY Post. Where did the jetski sink?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looking at SFO from the Bay Trail, I always wonder what's going to stop people from swimming or boating to the airport from the water side. I don't think there's any fence. Do they believe in the Alcatraz defense?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The distance is more than likely an exaggeration. Even if you count the marsh at the end of 4L, it's 2.5 miles to the Cross Bay bridge. I wouldn't call it a landmark, but in New York this time of year before 8pm you can clearly make out not only the bridge but also Beach Channel Drive to the south in the Rockaways.

You'd have to be swimming parallel to 13/31 away from Howard Beach and ignoring everything in sight to swim 3 miles to the end of 4L.

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They may try, but IF the story happened as written, I'd be shocked if a jury convicted him. Plus, a judge may throw it out before it gets that far. OTOH, if there's more to the story, who knows?

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, let's just say there's no direct route. ;)

10. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story! But I agree, something smells a little off. Still, the bottom line is the same: I don't think JFK is quite as secure as they think it is... hmm.

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if this guy performed this stunt intentionally to prove a point, it's possible that this could save lives. The only negative thing it does is put a black eye on the Port Authority and/or HSA.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the story is on the up-and-up, the PA will throw the book at him because they made them look stupid.

Further, if the story is true, no judge or jury would convict this guy.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. ewrgal

ewrgal Member

Status Points:
    I heard this this AM and thought it had to be a joke. How can some dude walk around the runways/tarmacs and not be stopped before he gets to a terminal. If this is all true its scary as hell.

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often, although it probably does and just goes unreported.

You can throw a stone from the end of runway 22 at LGA and hit Rikers, and it has to be maybe 500 feet at the most from the end of 31 to the houses of people that live by College Point.

JFK is not much better with the Inwood golf course being probably 1k feet from the runway.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boston Logan also comes to mind...

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    When posters say "there has to be more to the story," are they suggesting the guy didn't swim to the airport, or that it was staged as a stunt, or something else?

Reading the article, I'm puzzled by a few details: it says Casillo first called his girlfriend, then waited a while, then panicked and swam to the airport. I wonder why neither he nor the girlfriend thought to call 911? Later, the article says he was sopping wet and had snails in his shoes, and had lost his ID, his money, and his car keys, which had "sunk with his jet ski." Did he stash those items in the jet ski, or had they been in his pockets? Wouldn't it have been much easier to swim without wearing clothes and shoes (and who jet skies in shoes)? Swimming three miles is quite difficult for most people, and he had been drinking...was he a good swimmer? On the other hand, one article mentioned he was wearing "a bright yellow life jacket," so that would have made it much easier.

The article also says “The Port Authority PBA has been concerned about the failure of the PIDS system for quite some time." I'm not sure who the PBA are, but this would indicate that people were aware of the problem, which would lead credence to their being a problem.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Port Authority Police Benevolent Association? ;)

http://www.papba.org/