Gunfire at IAH

Discussion in 'IAH/HOU | Houston Area Airports' started by Sedosi, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oy....

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...uston-s-Bush-Airport-4483406.php?cmpid=hpfsln

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not like this but I thank you for posting it. Trying to avoid venturing in to US politics, I can say many of us who visit the US but do not live there worry about our safety when we enter what seems to us to be a "wild west" style armed camp.

YULtide, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  3. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand your sentiment. It's the same type of stereotyping that leads people to believe that I own horses, wear boots and am a cowboy because I live in Texas, or the same people in the US who think traveling to Dubai or "horrors!" Europe is somehow dangerous because "they hate us over there".

MOST (not all of course) gun violence is domestic in nature, where the attacker knows their victim. Yes, in some cases innocent bystanders are injured but that's relatively rare. What you see are the media sensationalizing certain events and then trumping it out of proportion. It's still far more dangerous to drive a car anywhere in the word than it is to be around guns in America.

This is not meant to be a pro/anti-gun screed, I do own a shotgun, a deer rifle and a pistol (which I mainly use for shooting snakes when hunting/fishing) and have taken firearms safety classes, have undergone background checks for all of my purchaes etc. Nor am I trying to say you're wrong, because people are free to believe and feel as they want to. I just think if we all looked at the statistics we'd be surprised by what we get worked up over.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you completely even if my earlier post did not make it seem so. Because i make a good part of my living with statistics I'm probably more prepared to accept conclusions that are contrary to my expectations. That said, the US is one of the more violent countries on earth, certainly the most violent major country. That does not make it dangerous in comparison with many otehr places, including my beloved Rio de Janeiro, which has a gun violence incidence well above taht of Washington, DC. In both cases the vast majority of that is drug related, and involves people involved in taht trade.

That does not alter the case by case horror of the exceptions, nor the reactions to such events.

A problem with statistics is that they are devoid of emotion, the corollary of their primary value.

Sedosi, YULtide and tondoleo like this.
  5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, this is not the first shooting incident pre-security. Not long after 9/11, there were several.people shot (and, if I recall correctly, at least a couple killed) in a shooting at the El Al ticket counter in the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you arrive at OAK, be careful where you go when you leave the airport.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...d=212303325541323050500.0004d2de685e721a45f7b

jbcarioca likes this.