Gun in carry-on accidentally fired

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/12/travel/gun-carryon-atlanta-airport/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Some travelers sleepily making their way through airport security in Atlanta Sunday morning got a startling wake up. A gun detected in a carry-on at a checkpoint at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport was accidentally fired by an investigating officer around 9 a.m. Sunday, according to a police report.​
    Transportation Security Administration screeners reported the gun to Atlanta police officer N.J. Phillips, officer Phillips wrote in an Atlanta Police Department report. The gun's owner was telling Phillips how to clear the loaded .22 magnum revolver when it was accidentally discharged, Phillips reported. "The weapon was pointed down towards the screening table."​
    "I was grazed by a pellet fragment on the left side of my face," Phillips wrote. "However, there were no visible injuries."​
    ...​

cordray2643, flyingdawg and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd how this happens days after the article regarding the STRIP Act. :rolleyes:

3. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel much safer now!

TAHKUCT and cordray2643 like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. One bullet less in that gun!

PS Glad nobody got injured

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As no one got injured (thankfully), I can say that the officer gets to visit remedial handgun training school. The first two (of only three) safety rules apparently went unheeded.