Gulfstream (dba CO Connection) to cease intra-Florida flying 4/1

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gulfstream (3M) is apparently leaving the intra-Florida and Bahamas market effective 4/1. Ground staff at most stations have been notified.

The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November 2010 and was recently awarded EAS routes in Montana (from Great Lakes) effective 5/1. 3M seems to be retrenching to EAS-subsidized flying and pulling out of more competitive markets in South Florida. They are currently operating CO-coded EAS flights out of CLE to BFD/DUJ/FKL/JHW/LWB/PKB with Beech 1900D aircraft.

3M operates at-risk as Continental Connection in Florida and it remains to be seen whether CO will source another carrier to replace the intra-Florida and Bahamas capacity that will be lost. Gulfstream has been cited for safety violations and questionable training tactics over the years.

Any thoughts besides good riddance (although I hope a more reputable substitute can be found)?

2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thing I chose to take DL to EYW in April.

3. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually see those "puddle jumpers" on the ground in TPA and laugh...I guess I will have to cry now. ;)

4. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always enjoy the B1900's for some reason, maybe it is because they are just so cozy.

Even my tooth has its own seat on a B1900!

I flew them(B1900) on Mesa before Mesa was anything as large as it is now, also on Big Sky when they had service in Texas.

If course I enjoy the Saab 340 as well, so I like my props :)

Actually I like the Q200 but not the Q400 so much, they feel more cramped for some reason (like maybe not allowing me int he exit row because they are the only seats with legroom!)

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hey I loved 'em but can pretty much never find aaward availability on 'em.

I remember flying MIA-MCO with them a couple of weeks after 9/11 with the cockpit door open.

I had been scheduled to fly back to DCA originally... DCA was still shut down... my IAD flight was cancelled and they flew me MIA-MCO-IAD, cleared the MCO-IAD upgrade at the gate, but I enjoyed my short hop even more.

6. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a very unique service which is unlikely to return in the civil aviation sector. Looks like general aviation may stand to benefit for those really into flying within the large state. Such demises within the aviation industry remind me that low fares aren't always the best.

lin821 likes this.