Guide to the Ultimate Long Weekend in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Newscience, Jan 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guide to the Ultimate Long Weekend in Phoenix

The best restaurants, hotels, art exhibits, hikes, cocktail bars and shopping in the Valley of the Sun

[​IMG]
    PRAISING ARIZONA | The Hermosa Inn Dave Lauridsen for The Wall Street Journal

TO THE SPORTS-MAD, Phoenix probably looks a lot like heaven. From the Cactus League—spring training for 15 Major League Baseball teams—to the massively attended Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament, to the Super Bowl (coming back to town next year), there always seems to be a reason to visit the Valley of the Sun. But what if you're not a jock or enthusiastic spectator? There's plenty for you, too. The Phoenix-Scottsdale area is a wonderland of midcentury modern architecture (though most of its best bars and restaurants are hidden in strip malls). It's where Chris Bianco makes what many consider to be the best pizza in the country. It is home to not just one, but two of artist James Turrell's "skyspace" installations. Winter is also an ideal time to explore the Sonoran Desert; a hike over the rocky landscape can be by equal turns punishing and thrilling—"Fifty Shades of Beige," if you will. So, even if you can't tell a bunt from a punt, you can have, ahem, a ball in Arizona.

Read the entire article here:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304549504579318600471609372.html

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't normally think of Phoenix as a long weekend destination, but it sounds nice here.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be in Phoenix over this coming MLK Jr weekend.

I've read/heard great things about the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM), hey if Tony Bennett & Carlos Santana both rave about it.... www.themim.org MIM also hosts concerts. Anyone been?

A friend of mine used to volunteer at a big cat sanctuary and it was thrilling to be up close to tigers & lions. Anyone been to Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Camp Verde AZ? (about an hour north of Phoenix) www.outofafricapark.com
    ---

Newscience and Zomby Woof like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    found a local food/dining message board for the greater Phoenix area. After a quick read it looks like they have some worthwhile contributors & suggestions.

They also have a very user friendly map feature.

http://phxfoodnerds.com/

-

Newscience and iolaire like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a long weekend thanksgiving before last we enjoyed outdoor dining at Cibo: http://www.cibophoenix.com/
    It was within walking distance to our downtown hotel (no car that trip) and given that it was relatively warm it was nice to eat out after dark. Also there was a bike share station within a block.

On Thanksgiving night we had drinks and maybe a snack at Hanny's downtown: http://www.hannys.net/ or http://archive.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2008/12/02/20081202hannysreturns1202.html built in a former department store space. I only remember the space and ambiance so I can't vouch for the drinks/food.

Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Sweet Willie, am in Spain right now but will give you some info when I get home Saturday. Let me know if you have time to meet up. Binkleys in cave creek is my fave ever but in the pricier side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newscience and iolaire like this.
  7. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me know what part of Phoenix you are staying in and if you have a car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newscience, Sweet Willie and iolaire like this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, Sweet Willie and kellio like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks @kellio I started a conversation with you.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.