Guide to Manila International Airport (MNL)

Discussion in 'MNL | Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport' started by KIXman, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to pass by Manila a number of times over the past few months so I decided to compile the pictures I have and put up a small "guide" to the MNL airport. It's not exhaustive but I hope what's here may be of reference to those who plan to visit Manila in the future.

MNL Terminal 1
    Arrival Procedure
    Departure Procedure

Lounges
    oneworld lounges
    CX Lounge
    JL Lounge

Star Alliance lounges
    TG Lounge
    SQ Lounge
    OZ Lounge

Skyteam & other lounges
    DL Lounge
    Sampaguita Lounge
    PAGSS Lounge

MNL Terminal 2
    Arrival Procedure
    Arrival Transportation Services
    Departure Procedure

MNL Terminal 3
    Arrival Procedure
    Departure Procedure
    Lounges

Edit: updated to include Terminal 3. I was very impressed with this terminal building, it was very streamlined in layout and reminded me of Kansai Airport. At the time of this writing there are still only a few international flights making use of this building. Also at the time I took the arrival pictures there was no other international flight arriving so the building was very empty, and it took me like 10 minutes to get from plane to terminal exit.

Rob, Shamrock51, whkento and 4 others like this.
  2. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Arrival Procedure
    After disembarking your plane, the route to the immigration area is pretty much straightforward. You'll pass through a temperature check by infrared cameras along the way.

Before the immigration counters will be the security check for tranferees and a small duty-free store selling chocolates and liquor for last-minute shopping. I've always passed these by but I'll try to put up a pic or two the next time I'm passing by.

Based on my experience so far, there are a lot of flights arriving at around 1PM and the 10PM slots. You may want to take up a seat somewhere near the front of the plane if you're in Y class in order to avoid lines like this at immigration:
    [​IMG]

Baggage area can also be crowded at this time.
    [​IMG]

After picking up your bags, hand over the customs check form to the inspector for his signature. I've never seen anybody had his/her bags checked, so not much to worry about here. I've taken raw fruits through without question.

Get back the signed customs form and head to the customs area exit. Along the way there are some exchange counters where you can buy some PHP, but the rates are much better if you buy from the foreign exchange counters at department stores like ShoeMart

Hand over the signed customs to the security at the customs area exit and head out the terminal door. Along the way somebody may ask to check your luggage tags, but this has happened to me only once or twice out of >20 entries

At the entrance of the terminal door there will be taxis to the left waiting to pick up passengers. VIPs can get picked up at this area too. For the rest of us, cross the street and head left or right to the arrival meeting area.
    [​IMG]

The arrival area. Only passengers are allowed in this area, while waiters are in the building across the street. Originally the arrival area had signs asking people to stand under the letter that included the initial letter of the family name of the person. Now the signs are "Bay 1" "Bay 2" etc, so you'll have to arrange things with the people you're meeting beforehand as to where they should look for you.
    [​IMG]

3. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Departure Procedure
    Approaching the airport terminal
    [​IMG]

Before entering the airport you come across a security area where the guards there will ask for the glove compartment to be opened. I have no idea what they're looking for :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

In order to enter the terminal building you need to show your passport and ticket to the security person. You MUST have a printed copy of your ticket/eticket or you won't be allowed in. I've seen people turned away because the only copy they had was on their cellphone. Incidentally even though the date is different they'll let you in, just say that you changed the date. Business class people can cut the line if you show the security person your ticket.
    [​IMG]

After the documents check is an xray and metal detector.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Departure Procedure (cont'd)
    The airport lobby. There's a foreign exchange counter in the middle of the lobby. Carts are free to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting your boarding pass, head for the immigration area in the center of the building. A security person will check your boarding pass again before you can enter.
    Inside, pay 750PHP for airport tax and enter the immigration zone.
    [​IMG]

If you're lucky there won't be a line of people waiting for their turn. In the middle is a roped off section for APEC card holders, but there's no one guarding it so you'll have to remove the rope yourself if you have one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rob, Shamrock51, Flying Bat and 2 others like this.
  5. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Departure Procedure (cont'd)
    Beyond the immigration booths is the bag x-ray, metal detector and pat-down. Normally only 2 detectors are manned, one for female passengers and another for male. You'll be asked to remove your belt and shoes. Laptops can stay inside the bags.
    [​IMG]

After the security check is the duty free area. There are handicrafts and traditional foodstuffs here for sale, but are rather limited in variety.
    [​IMG]

At the end of the duty free area is the entrance to the gates. Gates 1-8 are to the left and 9-18 are to the right. There will be another boarding pass & passport check here if you want to enter. Lounges are beyond this check so you can say that you just want to use the lounge and they'll let you through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before the gate area is another boarding pass and passport check. For certain flights they'll also ask to check the contents of your carry-on.
    [​IMG]

6. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : CX lounge
    When you enter the CX lounge you'll come across the C lounge area first. There is another doorway inside that leads to the F lounge area but amenities in both areas are pretty much the same.

The F lounge area
    [​IMG]

The small food and drink bar. They have congee, sandwiches, softdrinks, juice, beer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They have wireless internet and reading material inside the lounge.
    There is a computer corner with 3 terminals in the F section.
    There is no restroom inside.

7. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : JL lounge (along the corridor to gates 9-14)
    Entrance to the JL lounge
    [​IMG]

Inside the JL lounge
    [​IMG]

Food bar. They have congee, sandwiches, softdrinks, juice, beer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They have wireless internet in here, you need a password to log in.
    There's a small restroom inside the lounge.

Rob, Shamrock51, Flying Bat and 2 others like this.
  8. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : TG lounge(beside gate 9)
    Entrance to the TG lounge. For some reason the lounge dragon will ask you for your *G card if you're a business class passenger on a different *A airline.
    [​IMG]

Inside the TG lounge. It's a bit dark and gloomy. The view from the window is the other side of the terminal building.
    [​IMG]

Food bar, TV and reading materials. They have rice and meat dishes, fried foods, hors d'oeuvres, sandwiches, soup, fruit, softdrinks, juice, beer and liquor.
    [​IMG]

They have wireless internet in here but the signal is flakey at times.
    No rest room or shower so you have to go out if you need to visit one.

Rob, whkento and Gargoyle like this.
  9. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : SQ lounge (beside gate 8)
    Entrance to the SQ lounge. There's a F class section to the left.
    [​IMG]

The lounge area
    [​IMG]

Food bar. They have fried foods, hors d'oeuvres, sandwiches, soup, steamed buns, fruit, cakes, softdrinks, juice, beer and liquor.
    [​IMG]

Reading materials
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : SQ lounge (cont'd)
    Computer corner: they have 2 terminals in here
    [​IMG]

Lavatory (with no shower)
    [​IMG]

There is wireless internet access in the lounge.

11. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : OZ lounge (Miascor contract lounge, beside gate 9)
    Entrance to the lounge and corridor
    [​IMG]

First thing you see when you enter is the bathroom and computer corner.
    The bathroom has a shower area.
    [​IMG]

Computer corner. There are 3 machines available
    [​IMG]

Going further on leads to the food area. They have noodles, rice and meat dishes, sandwiches, soup, congee, fruit, softdrinks, beer and liquor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : OZ lounge (cont'd)

After the food area is the seating area. It's pretty large and bright.
    [​IMG]

There is wireless internet access here, but you need to request for a password.

Newspapers & magazines
    [​IMG]

View from the lounge.
    [​IMG]

Rob, Flying Bat, whkento and 2 others like this.
  13. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal) : Arrival Procedure
    Arrival at the airport terminal.
    [​IMG]

If you're unlucky, your plane will park away from the gate area and you'll have to take a bus to the terminal building. Unfortunately the bus is not a dedicated airport bus, just one of the city buses with 2-3 seating and cramped between rows. Pray that you don't get this if you have some large carryon baggage.
    [​IMG]

Otherwise, after disembarking your plane, the route to the immigration area is pretty much straightforward. You'll pass through a temperature check by infrared cameras along the way to immigration.
    P1020603.jpg

P1020604.jpg

Lines can form at the immigration area so it's advisable to find seats to the front of the plane if you have a Y seat.

Baggage area is immediately after the immigration area, and can be chaotic at times. In the area there's a foreign exchange counter where you can change money while waiting for your bags to emerge, which can take a long time. The rates are much better if you buy from the foreign exchange counters at department stores like ShoeMart though.

After picking up your bags, hand over the customs check form to the inspector for his signature. Get back the signed customs form and head to the terminal building exit.
    P1020608.jpg

After exiting, there will be a person who will check your bag tags. After this you will exit to the road area.
    P1020609.jpg

The road area has pillars marked "Bay 1", "Bay 2" etc. You can call up people you're meeting to advise them where you are or you should arrange things with them beforehand as to where they should look for you.

14. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Departure Procedure
    Before entering the airport grounds you come across a security area where the guards there will ask for the glove compartment to be opened.
    [​IMG]

The terminal building. To the right is the Domestic Terminal and to the left is the International Terminal
    [​IMG]

Before entering the terminal building you will have to show your ticket to the security for them to let you proceed.
    [​IMG]

Entrance to the terminal building. Business class passengers can enter the building via the center "Blue Zone" entrance. Similar to Terminal 1, you will need to show your passport and ticket here, and you MUST have a printed copy of your ticket/eticket or you won't be allowed in, even if you have a electronic copy on your cellphone.
    [​IMG]

15. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Departure Procedure (cont'd)
    After the documents check is an xray and metal detector.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside the terminal building
    [​IMG]

After getting your boarding pass, head for either end of the terminal building to pay 750PHP for airport tax and enter the immigration zone.
    [​IMG]

After paying the airport tax, you can enter the immigration area.
    [​IMG]

As always, long lines can form at this airport so it's advisable to go early (also in order to take into account any delays due to the Manila's infamous traffic)
    P1020738.jpg

16. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Departure Procedure (cont'd)
    Beyond the immigration booths is the bag x-ray, metal detector and pat-down. You'll be asked to remove your belt and shoes. Laptops can stay inside the bags.
    [​IMG]

Airside. There are only a couple of food kiosks here so I advise getting something to eat before coming to the airport.
    [​IMG]

Duty free corner. They have the usual selection of liquors, chocolates and cosmetics here, plus a small selection of local goods.
    [​IMG]

Entrance to PR's Mabuhay Lounge. I haven't been inside but from what I hear it doesn't get rave reviews
    [​IMG]

Airside there will be an additional bag x-ray for flights to the USA
    [​IMG]

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Excellent guide. If someone arrives without pre-arranged transportation, can you recommend the best ways to get into the city? Is there public transit, or if taking a taxi, how do you select a good safe taxi driver?

whkento, doc and KIXman like this.
  18. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is an official taxi from the airport whose booth outside the terminal building IIRC. I haven't used it for a long time but I think the one in Terminal 1 was to the left after exiting the building. The fare is predetermined depending on the area of your destination and I remember it was prominently displayed in the booth so you can check beforehand how much it will cost.
    I'll try to get pix of the points I missed next time I'm in town.

19. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an excellent overview and step by step guide to the MNL Airports. :)

It is easy to get taxis at the airport. The signs are in English and clearly marked. Most of the people working at the airport will also be speaking in English, and will be able to point you the right direction.

If you are staying in one of the big hotels in Manila, your taxi driver will be able to take you to the hotel without any trouble. If your hotel is smaller or not a well know brand, then please have the address available, even better is the little map that is often on the hotel websites, as many of the buildings in Manila do not have street numbers on them. This can make it tricky to find your hotel sometimes.

whkento, KIXman and doc like this.
  20. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Transportation from the airport

After exiting the terminal, if you do not have prearranged transportation you can get a rental car or use an airport taxi to go to your destination.

Rental car services (Nissan, Avis, Orix etc) are located in a room outside and near the middle of the terminal building. Upon exiting the building turn left
    P1020732.jpg

If you continue on straight you will come to this area, where you will find inside the rental company booths.
    P1020734.jpg

On the other hand if you wish to take a metered taxi, the queue is located to the right of the terminal building.
    According to their signboard the metered taxi service operates within the Mega Manila area only and costs PHP70.00 for the first 500 meters and PHP4.00 for every 300m after
    P1020735.jpg

P1020736.jpg

21. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much ..really enjoyed seeing these interesting photos.. I haven't been thru here since .. well.. before 9/11..quite some time.. Thanks again :)

Flying Bat and KIXman like this.
  22. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 3 : Arrival Procedure

As you proceed from the plane to the immigration area there will be a temperature check
    [​IMG]

There is a duty free kiosk before immigration for that last minute gift you forgot to buy
    [​IMG]

Immigration. There was no line here but that was because there were no other flights arriving at the same time, and also I was one of the first to disembark the plane.
    [​IMG]

Baggage claim area
    It is very clean and reminds me of Singapore's Changi airport in design.
    [​IMG]

Customs declaration desk
    Give the customs declaration form to the staff for them to sign. They may ask you questions like what's in your bag, when was the last time you were in the country etc.
    [​IMG]

Rob and whkento like this.
  23. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 3 : Arrival Procedure (cont'd)

After getting back the signed customs declaration form, head towards the exit where you will meet staff collecting the forms. As you head outside the customs area, you can find the area where people fetching their friends/family/guests can wait.
    [​IMG]

Waiting area outside customs. There are some food kiosks, currency exchange booths and some seats for waiting people.
    [​IMG]

Outside the terminal building, the pillars are marked "Bay 1", "Bay 2" etc. so you can tell people who come to meet you where you are.
    [​IMG]

If you want to take public transportation there is an airport taxi stand to the right of the terminal building exit; sorry I didn't check the details, or where hotel taxis would be found.
    [​IMG]

24. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 3 : Departure Procedure

The usual car security check at the entrance to the airport.
    [​IMG]

Unlike Terminal 1 or 2, you do not have to show your boarding pass and passport to enter. I guess that is because domestic flight checkin is also done in the same floor. However, there is a metal check / baggage x-ray and patdown at the entrance.
    [​IMG]

This can make for long lines at the entrance so don't forget to come early! (good thing there are more creature comforts inside if you get in fast)
    [​IMG]

Departure floor. The airport is quite modern in design and well laid out. This floor reminded me of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport in atmosphere.
    [​IMG]

There is a good variety of shops on the level above the departure floor, including clothes, luggage, several restaurants (ramen, pizza, dimsum, set meals, etc), a 7-11 and a massage area.
    [​IMG]

25. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MNL Terminal 3 : Departure Procedure (cont'd)

There is a check of your boarding pass and passport before entering the area where you pay the PHP750 airport tax. They will also check your temperature here
    [​IMG]

Passport area is immediately after the airport tax payment booth
    [​IMG]

Security check is a metal detector, baggage x-ray and patdown. They will confiscate folding umbrellas here as I found out when I went through.
    [​IMG]

There are also a number of food and drink stores airside. There is a bookstore as well as a souvenir shop, plus a duty free corner.
    [​IMG]

Gate area. It is brighty lit by daylight from the big windows, with nice cushioned seats at the gates, which are laid out in a manner that makes access to the inside seats difficult though. The toilets were also clean.
    [​IMG]

Before you board the plane there will be a final boarding pass and passport check.