Guide to CPH

Discussion in 'ARN/CPH/OSL/HEL | Scandinavia Regional Airports' started by SirRagnar, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Introduction:
    Copenhagen airport is called Kastrup Airport and is located 8km south-east of downtown Copenhagen on an island called Amager.

IATA code is CPH and ICAO code is EKCH.

The airport is the biggest in the Nordic countries with 21,5 million passenger per year (2010 numbers). It is one of the 3 hubs that SAS have (one in each capital of the countries that own SAS).

Terminals:
    There are 4 terminals that are all connected air-side. This is one of the big advantages of CPH compared to similar sized airports - you never have to leave a terminal to change flight (unless your bag is not checked through). However, if you are going from domestic to international or the other way, prepare yourself for a good 10-30 min walk depending on your connecting gate or go outside the terminals and take the free terminal bus. If your connecting flight is from gates A, B, C or D I recommend to walk, but if you are going from gate F (the new low-cost terminal you are looking at a very long walk so I recommend the bus.

Terminal 1 is the domestic terminal and serves 6 domestic airports on a regular basis:

[​IMG]
    Note: Thisted is no longer served regularly

Terminal 2 is the terminal for all flights which are not serviced by SAS Ground Handling. In this terminal you will find most airlines.

Terminal 3 is the primary terminal for SAS and all flights handles by SAS Ground Handling.

CPH Go is the newest terminal which opened October 2010. It is a low-cost terminal designed for low-cost carriers. Currently only Easy-Jet uses the new terminal. The terminal is so new in fact that I have not been able to find an updated terminal map including this terminal.

Terminal Map with lounges

[​IMG]

Lounges:
    There are 4 lounges in CPH:

Servisair Lounge
    Novia Lounge
    SAS Business Lounge
    SAS Scandinavian Lounge

I'll recommend the SAS Scandinavian lounge if you have access there, as this is by far the best. It has food, a decent selection of beverages and nice facilities including showers, if you ask for them.
    Only SAS's own gold customers and SAS business class ticket holders have access here.

If you are Star Alliance gold but not traveling with SAS Business you have access to the SAS Business Lounge, which is also decent with a similar selection of food and beverages, but often more crowded.

The Servisair and the Novia lounge are contract lounge, where Oneworld and Skyteam elites have access as well as Diners Club, Priority pass and a number of other cards give access.
    Those are in my opinion mediocre lounges with a poor selection of food, decent selection of beverages, but poor facilities.

Transportation:

Taxi's are on the right when you exit from the baggage claim area (which is the area everyone exits from). Just turn right at the very exit to avoid the hordes of people usually waiting there with flags for their loved ones; there is a small exit there which leads you directly to the taxis.
    Taxis in Denmark are expensive and will set you back around 200-250DKK for a trip downtown. The cars they drive are nice though, usually Mercedes.

Subway:
    It's called the Metro in Copenhagen and is the fastest way to get downtown, but there are limited stops you can get off at. If you have a stop near your destination I recommend the metro. It will cost you 20-30 DKK depending on destination.
    They are driverless trains so you can get a great view of you snatch the front row:

[​IMG]

[To be updated later]

Redcap, IMGone, snapper and 4 others like this.
  2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, great intro. Any must-dos for a quick visit to the city? Given the cheap fares, I'm sure there are a lot of first timers headed that way.

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, there is one must-do I always recommend and I have even written a guide about it here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/guide-to-the-alternative-copenhagen.2246/

Otherwise, if you come in the summer, Tivoli is well worth a visit and also a tour with the canal boats is a nice way to see the city from sea-side: http://www.havnerundfart.dk/canaltours/index.php?page=forside.php

That way you also get to tick off The Little Mermaid, which is likely the most touristy attraction we have. It is not worth a visit on it's own though; it's just a small statue in the water.

4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few clarifications:

1) Non-Schengen arrivals & departures, regardless of carrier, are from Terminal 3, pier C. Terminal 2 no longer has any passport control facilities.

2) All *A Golds get access to the SAS Scandinavian lounge. Other *A international business class passengers (e.g. flying LH J to FRA) use the business class lounge.

Also, I'm a little unclear on what the new situation is with the Novia lounge. The Novia lounge was moved to the old BA lounge at the end of the T2 shopping area while they renovated the old Novia lounge to become the CPH Apartment, which is a pay-for-entry lounge (link). Not sure whether the Novia lounge has also moved back to this space, or if it remains in the old BA space. Will try to confirm next time I'm through there.

One other note that might be useful... Pretty sure that all Danish taxis accept credit cards. The only downside is that foreign cards pay a transaction fee of, IIRC, 3%. This is similar to the fee paid when using foreign cards in Danish restaurants.

SirRagnar likes this.
  5. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually it's all one big terminal once you get pass security, so there isn't really any difference in regards to terminal, as can be seen on the map above. It is absolutely correct that it's pier C that is used for non-schengen arrivals and departures.
    I can update on this. The Novia lounge is now back in it's original place. There is one common entrance for the Novia lounge and for the CPH Apartment lounge. The latter is used for at least Air France business (I was there on a J-ticket being FBG). When I visited I was all alone in the lounge, it seems to serve more or less the same food and beverages as the Novia lounge, but the lounge itself is equipped much better with nice chairs and designed to look like an apartment (hence the name).
    All taxis accept credit cards. They are expensive though and the transaction fee is really a big annoyance (well, not for me, but for tourists).

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone heading to CPH and looking for a great meal should check out Frederick Have (http://frederikshave.dk/en/). As the place is fairly small, reservations are a must. We had lunch there (couldn't get a dinner ressie), and it was fabulous. The owner was our server -- she was great, and the food wonderful (the cheese plate, in particular, was superb)

Attached Files:

7. vishal1mehra

vishal1mehra Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was staying at Bella Sky, near the airport recently. The hotel is fantastic and yes those front row views from Metro are tummy-giggle inducing :) Simple pleasures really.