Guide me how to spend my mileage points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by lakshminaran, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lakshminaran

lakshminaran Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello Everyone,

1st of all, nice 2 see and meet all you here. This is LNPK from southern part of India. Good to note that Milepoint is an active forum for all FFs around the world. I wish to take the guidance from all of U, who are experienced with Emirates Skywards.

Two years back, during a EK Skywards & MasterCard joint promotion: I was one of the lucky winner of 300,000 miles. These points are soon lapsing during the year.

I'm in a dilemma whether to book flight tickets to my parents, as they are finishing 30 yrs of their marriage anniversary? And also as i'm a working professional - we are not that lucky to receive long holiday breaks (30 days), as all western countries friends use to enjoy. If so, I want to know how to maximize the no. of places, which places (these places should have decent vegetarian restaurants around the tourist spots) to be travelled using these points?

Or

Shall I use these points to purchase any jewelery, electronic gadget or household items etc, as we can also purchase these items by exchanging the miles?

So, which one is a best option? and respective thoughts please.

Thanks in advance, Good day!!! :)

jmrich1432, iolaire and harvson3 like this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi LNPK, and welcome to Milepoint.

Where do your parents live that you might visit them? What parts of the world are you interested in seeing?
    You may already know this, but Emirates has a calculator to determine the costs for reward trips at http://www.skywards.com/Mileage_Calculator.aspx

3. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks Harson3 for the quick reply. Mostly, US via Dubai Stopover. I tried & use the given above link and the outcome as follows:

Skywards Blue Skywards SilverSkywards Gold
    Earning Miles Return One-way
    Skywards Saver Fare
    Skywards Flex Fare
    7,500 Skywards Miles 15,000 Skywards Miles
    7,500 Tier miles 15,000 Tier miles

Book online
    Upgrade Reward Return One-way
    From Economy to Business or Business to First
    Skywards Saver Fare
    Skywards Flex Fare
    70,000 Skywards Miles 55,000 Skywards Miles

Upgrade an existing ticket
    Flight Reward Return One-way
    Skywards Saver Reward
    Skywards Flex Reward
    85,000 Skywards Miles 147,500 Skywards Miles

Book online to save an extra 5%
    Special OffersMake a Booking
    Reward Booking Cash Booking
    From Multiple Destinations
    To
    Depart
    Return
    Adults Children Infants
    Class
    Note: As per Skywards Reward rules, an infant Reward ticket can only be used in Economy Class.

Sorry for the data alignment issue. It is asking some tier miles. I'm not sure - what it means? I have close to 300K skywards miles. Only that much I remember.

So, it means only 2X7500 miles = 15,000 miles (under saver fare) + taxes extra for my parents US return trip ? very cheap. If so, my parents can go 20 times to US from India sponsored by EK? That's interesting. Am I Correct?

Regards,

iolaire likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read it as 85,000 Skywards Miles round trip for coach if you are able to find a Skywards Saver Reward. Otherwise its 147,500 Skywards Miles for an anytime award.

Based on that you can get 3.5 round trip flights to the US if you plan far ahead (or maybe close in) and are able to book the Saver Reward.

Congratulations – you have a fun problem to solve.

Re: Vegetarian food – usually most restaurants in the US will have some Vegetarian option – at least in the large city. With some pre-planning using the internet you should find lots of good Vegetarian food in NYC or any other large US city.

harvson3 and viguera like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finding vegetarian restaurants in the U.S. is usually easy. One website I use is:
    www.happycow.net
    But you can find many more just by searching for vegetarian restaurants with the city name.

iolaire and harvson3 like this.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Skywards Blue is someone who has no status with Emirates.

From Mumbai (BOM) to New York (JFK) round-trip is 80,000/140,000 Skywards points/miles for a Saver Award or Flex Reward in coach (and 160,000/220,000 in business and 240,000/300,000 in first class). The higher numbers are for Flex Awards, which are available on more dates for more flights.

The amounts for awards are slightly more for Los Angeles (and presumably, other US destinations).

Most veterans on this board will recommend using your points for Business or First international flights to get the most value out of them. Flights that would otherwise cost tens of thousands of US dollars can be purchased for only thousands of points.

It is likely that redeeming these awards for jewelry or items is a lesser value, unless you just can't find a time you're able to fly.

That being said, I have no idea how best to find Saver Awards on Emirates. I'll leave that for someone else.

iolaire likes this.
  7. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks Iolaire, that's y I wondered to see 7500 miles, 15000 miles package - seems to be some technical snag in the EK website yesterday. You are right. I will take a call accordingly. Good day,

harvson3 likes this.
  8. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing the above portal info dear miles and smiles. What I found is they didn't have conclusive list of Veg. Restaurants list. I will try to update there, in my free time too. So it will be useful for the people like us in the future. Regards,

harvson3 and miles and smiles like this.
  9. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks harvson3 for the detailed input. You are correct. Using those points for a full fledged business class tickets is the ideal option, deriving the complete miles usage. As my parents are any way, 50 yrs plus - it will be more comfort for them to have a long haul flight. Also, some where in the forum, I fond someone are talking about miles points trading. Is it really possible? How to find a interested party? Thanks, in advance. Good day,

harvson3 likes this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that it is much better just to search for vegetarian restaurants within a particular city or even within a particular neighborhood once you know your destination(s). Good luck!

Gargoyle and harvson3 like this.
  11. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Yeah, certainly that option is there in the mind... Always.. All credit goes to the best search engines of the world... Kudos.. Making life much easier.. :)

harvson3 and miles and smiles like this.
  12. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are forums at flyertalk.com and at points.com where people exchange points and miles. It's risky, but possible. The potential for fraud exists. The airlines very much frown upon this practice, and people have had accounts suspended and tickets cancelled for engaging in it. The airlines sometimes have their own rules where one can buy miles or exchange miles among accounts for a fee, so exchanging on an internet forum costs them revenue. Technically, one can gift miles, so buying flights for your parents is perfectly fine.

It is possible to purchase (say 20,000 extra) Skywards miles directly from Emirates to get to 320,000 miles for two Saver Business flights. The link at the Emirates site (in English) isn't working, so you'd be better off calling them.

13. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion harvson3. As airlines, don't like such practice. It is better to use those for own use. I will stick to this. Let's hope to fly soon and avoid the incoming Indian Summers... :) regards,

Gargoyle and harvson3 like this.
  14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP LNPK!

15. lakshminaran

Status Points:
    Thanks Cennas, nice 2 meet u here. Have a nice weekend. :)