Guatemala - Antigua Hotel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by Westsox, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife just returned from a trip to work at an orphanage in Guatemala for a week. She was so impressed with the work taking place at the orphanage, she wants us to take our children for a visit in December. They are ages 12, 16 & 20. The directors at the orphanage assured her there would be plenty of activities the kids could assist with.

While we are in Guatemala I hope to stay a few nights in Antigua to experience some of the culture first hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a "nice" hotels in the area. I am guessing this is not a "well traveled" area with members on MP but surely someone here has been there.

2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot believe I just wrote about 500 words and then backed off the page! Arrrgggghhhh...!

Anyway, let me try to reconstruct: Just got back from Antigua 3 days ago. Antigua is charming and well worth several days. In fact, I will be going back in June (alas, alone) for a couple of weeks to attend a Spanish language school.

We stayed at Casa Encantada which I highly recommend as it is a charming and romantic little 10 room hotel with a nice bar/breakfast area on the roof. No restaurant but there are a couple of options within 2 blocks and many more beyond that. It is 5 blocks south of Parque Central in a residential area. The only downside is there is moderate chicken bus traffic at breakfast in the morning. Rooms are in the $100/night range (plus 22% tax on all these rates).

Around the corner is Meson Panza Verde which is similar (12 rooms I believe) but larger and with a restaurant and terrific night club (mostly jazz). Panza Verde also has a few rooms at $100 then jumps to $165.

Closer to town are two hotels I went into, explored, and feel safe recommending. Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo looks wonderful, even though it is larger (41 rooms). Full service place and still $100. A cheaper, but still "nice," place is La Aurora at about $75.

I saw a few other places but cannot directly recall them right now but if you come up with someplace else ask me and I may have something on it.

(I had been thinking of staying my first night in June at La Aurora but now that I see the prices and know all these places I think I'll splurge for Don Rodrigo ... $90 single! So that would probably be my best recommendation. The rest of the time will be a local family home stay at $22 a night including 3 meals, cable TV and Wi-Fi!)

Also, your first full day there I strongly recommend you take a walking tour of the city with Elizabeth Bell. A US ex-pat living there for 40 years or so, she has been heavily involved with the city's restoration and renaissance and knows absolutely everything. She is also charming and funny. In two hours (and for $20) you will become as captivated as we were. She does the tours on Tu, We, Fr and Sa at 09.30. (She/her company can also can book hotels and provide transfers for you and they are quite reputable and reliable.)

Hotels, transportation and food in Guatemala is still way inexpensive compared to elsewhere in the world. In fact, the Intercon in Guatemala City is only $119 a night. You get a lot for your money.

Enjoy!

3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed information. My wife said she remembers seeing several of the hotels you mentioned. The tour with Elizabeth Bell looks like a great idea as well.

Just curious, but what is the "purpose" of your language school visit. Are you just working on improve your language skills or looking to spend more time in a Spanish speaking location?

4. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both. Primarily to improve for general purposes. And, living in Florida, which is a Spanish speaking location(!), it would be nice to better communicate with the neighbors!

In the interim I also decided to extend my next trip by a week and do some volunteer work. WIll also give me an addition week of language immersion.

5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand. I live in south Alabama and we are quickly becoming a Spanish speaking locations as well. My three children have a working understanding of Spanish from taking courses at school. I on the other hand, can read a menu in Spanish and understand a few words.