Grumpy Young Man: You can’t complain if your flight cost £20

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by sobore, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/exam...mplain-if-your-flight-cost-20-86081-30401146/

BEFORE I joined the pale blue and grey-shirted world of journalism I used to play guitar in a slightly more colourful punk band.

Our drummer, Rob, was an 18-stone brick outhouse of a bloke who would wallop his skins and cymbals with considerable violence. This wasn’t unusual. Most tub-thumpers in the world of punk and heavy metal do the same – and the manufacturers of drum skins and drumsticks build their products to withstand the abuse.

One day Rob came into the practice room with a box of sticks. For the price of a pair he’d bought about five sets.

Within about two songs first blood was drawn. A severed chunk of Rob’s left-hand stick came flying across the room. And within two weeks most of his new purchases were lying in the bin cracked, splintered and split. They were cheap in the extreme because they were probably made of matchwood. But Rob knew he’d got his money’s worth and didn’t complain.

A few years later my mate, Dabber, and I sat aboard a plane, belonging to ultra-budget airline Ryanair. We were bound for Madrid.

Valentine, CharlesG, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true..

sobore likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good telling of the story. People hate no assigned seats on SW but most will not pay $10 for a seat number, me included.

sobore and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only problem about following all the rules is that they aren't necessarily clearly disclosed. My sister flew EasyJet out of Barcelona, and I was very confused about whether or how much she had to pay for her luggage as well as when or where she should check in.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Whether" shouldn't have been a question with the likes of Easyjet. ;)

LETTERBOY and CharlesG like this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my point! It really wasn't clear if she would be charged for a carry on and how that would compare with checked baggage. Eventually she just paid for all the extras she thought she might use because they'd charge double if she waited until the airport.

7. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew EasyJet over the weekend and I found the information very clear. I was given the option to check a bag but declined. My boarding pass had printed on it the hand baggage limitations (which are perfectly ok - 1 IATA sized bag, no weight limitation). Check in is simple online - no different from any other airline, except you can do it earlier than on most, and can check in for your return at the same time.

Having girded myself for severe pain, I found the whole thing to be perfectly acceptable for a 2 hour flight, and quite different from the Ryanair experience I once endured. Even the boarding scrum was not too bad, and certainly more genteel than the shoving that goes on amongst elite United Airlines customers in their unhappy new world.