GRU (Sao Paulo) - bringing in booze....?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Gaucho, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so in my experience, Brazilian customs can sometimes be a pain in the arse with alcohol... more so at GRU than at RIO. Sure, since Im going to go in as a tourist (and not being Brazilian), most customs give visitors a less hard time than locals...... regardless, Im wondering what you guys think will happen if I show up at GRU with 6 (six) bottles of sparkling wine. I will just be transiting on my way to SSA, but Im pretty sure we will have to do customs at GRU. We are coming in from MercoSur (EZE), although Im guessing that this will just be another MercoSur crock and not mean a thing to the customs guys...... what is the current limit per adult when bringing in wine to Brazil.... and, for a family with two parents, is the allowance per person or per family...?

All my past trips into Brazil have had Rio as my incoming gateway, and Ive gotten though with up to 2 cases (24 bottles) with no issues - only once a few questions..... but I understand that the boys at Sao Paulo are a little more picky....

Gracias!!

IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question GRU is more of a pain that GIG, in so many ways. However, up to 12 bottles per person is no issue. I always pack mine in a normal bag just to avoid screaming "wino". However, the new streamlined Customs process reduce your risks even more.
    OTOH, we are very angry with Christina just now, even though we're sorry about here medical mishap. As you know, when governments irritate each other quick responses are sometiems seen. I cannot imagine anything bad happening for you during the next three weeks since we're just peeved she wants to raise duties on the stuff we export to you.

IDGflygirl and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took 6 (six) bottles of booze with me, no questions asked... nobody even notices. I guess the Customs Guy was too busy making faces to my little Sofia....

jbcarioca and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but that was not the reason. You're entitled to 12 bottles of wince each (48 bottles for ten days-possibly a bit much, but legal). We do have some good things here.:D Generous duty free allowances is one of them.