GRU and GIG to have ILS III-A approaches

Discussion in 'GRU/GIG/BSB | Brazil Regional Airports' started by jbcarioca, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Announced on April 13
    Infraero and the Department of Air Space Control (Decea) met on Wednesday (13 / 4) to examine the rise of Instrument Landing System (Instrument Landing System - ILS) of the international airports of Rio de Janeiro / Galleon - Antonio Carlos Jobim and Sao Paulo / Guarulhos - Governador André Franco Montoro to Category III-A.

The ILS is an equipment system navigational aids to guide aircraft during landing approach, and the ILS Category III-A allows the targeting of planes even at heights of less than 30m and visual contact with the runway from 200m. Currently, the two airports operating in Category II, which allows the orientation of minimum height of 30m and visual contact with the runway from 200m.
    During the meeting, were technical analysis and updating of schedules of implementation process of the system at each airport. In Guarulhos, the new ILS should be in operation by the end of 2011, as the process of adjustments to the equipment installation is nearing completion. Among the changes already made in Guarulhos, the installation is made by Infraero, equipment monitoring systems. It is expected that all requirements under the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC) are met by August 2011.

In the Galleon, the estimate is that the requirements for passage of ANAC category are met by the end of 2013. To do this will be carried out joint actions between Infraero Decea and ANAC.
    The superintendent of the Air Navigation Infraero, Will Furtado, commented on the importance of implementation of ILS CAT III-A at both airports. "The improved safety and operability in Guarulhos and Galleon will be remarkable. Besides the possibility of landing and takeoff on weather conditions more stringent, the drives can be made more accurately, "scored the superintendent.

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the good news? We need slots and runway maintenance!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously we do need those things, more gates, better taxiways and aircraft facilities, better local transportation, airport fees reduced by 50% and much, much more. All ture. The ILS III-A will reduce delays in fog and low weather conditions, so I cosider them to be very good news. If all the other issues could be addressed sometime before 2020 I'd be elated! Still, conditions are improving. Not fast or far enough, but still improving.

4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just heard that ANAC does not allow the CAT 3 Landing by law... So, will this be really helpful?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that ANAC will permit Cat III-A on the same basis that otehr countries do. No Cat III is ever p[ermitted without specific aircraft certification, each flight crew member certified, and both certified for teh specific approach, including recurrent training for that approach. The benefits will be for the companies and routes that encounter the weather often enough to justify all that intial cost and recurrent cost. In practice the only approaches taht do not require specific aircraft/flight crew certification for the specific approach to be used are Cat I. Most users survive nicely with Cat I.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  6. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope for great improvements for our home airport! Delays today are very frequently in GIG!!! Specially for domestic flight, Last month I almost lost my flight departing from GRU because the connection with G3 (GOL) was delayed for 1h30! Could you imagine that? Reason: Weather! At least all aircraft from GOL 738s have the proper equipment to use the Cat 3 ILS landing! Let's hope they do that ASAP!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am doubtful that all the GOL 738's are properly equipped, but i hope you are correct. We need to remember that each individual airplane must be certified for each individual approach, as well as each crewmember, so it is a major cost for ongoing certification. More than a few times I, certified to do some Cat III approaces, was in an airplane also certified for soem, but neither was certified for the specific appraoch we needed, so we ended out diverted. That happens.

Despite my doubts I am certain GOL will be quite anxious to use those approaches at both airports. They will be ready to invest, no doubt. So will Tam, especially for the long-haul flights.

I hope our home airport improves too.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.