Groupon/Expedia Experience?

Discussion in 'Deal Page | Air/Hotel' started by Mike Reed, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had decent luck with finding things I want/need on Groupon for local businesses, but I've never pulled the trigger on a travel deal from them. There's currently a deal to Port Aransas that piqued my interest, but I'm going to have to research it to find out just how good a deal it is (they always list discount from list/MSRP).

What's the MP'ers group experience been with the Expedia getaways sold on Groupon? Good? Bad?

My thought is that the property gets so little of the money that they must be desperate... or off-season.

flyingdawg and Mapsmith like this.
  2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a rather positive experience with Groupon and one of their getaways, even though I wasn't able to actually go on the Getaway.

My experience with Groupon was that there was no availability on my desired travel date [it was within the date range on Groupon] so I contacted Groupon and told them I was unable to use my hotel nights. I kindly asked for a refund, and Groupon was very easy to work with, refunding my credit card within 72 hours of attempting to make a reservation.

I have not the best experience with Living Social, and they refused to work with me about a vendor that had a very misleading offer. I would avoid doing any business with Living Social.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the property. Having lived in the area a score or so years ago, Port Aransas really was not a "happening place". Although access to Corpus Christi was convenient. Aransas was somewhat the agricultural center. Although they may have decided to increase Condo Production, would not be my first Choice. (I actually would go up the beach to Galveston rather than Aransas.

These are just my opinions.

BTW. Aransas is usually good for fishing offshore.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Aransas is the "relaxed beach" place with good fishing and lots of wildlife (the bird refuge is there). We know enough locals to ask around about this place... the trick will be finding out the going rate if we don't use Groupon.

5. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    A close friend recently bought a travel deal on Groupon for a trip to India. (ex South Africa I have to add.) Had no troubles with the vouchers and had a great trip that was actually more luxurious than originally advertised in the Groupon. I tend to think if you have you wits about you, you can see through any smoke and mirrors some offers try to put up and see the true gems that are often on offer with Groupon. The additional advantage is that they are so international that it helps when things possibly go wrong.