Groupon Dining 'deals'. Are they wearing you out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by dhammer53, Sep 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to recall the last time I purchased a groupon dinner deal. In the early days, there were multiple good deals. So much so that I had to curb my buying. Geesh. I would have been going out to dinner with my wife 2x's a week.

I almost pulled the trigger today to unsubscribe, but didn't.

What do you think about the current state of Groupon (as it pertains to dining)?

dh

uggboy likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still have some decent deals here in Tucson. But they are the same old ones. Waiting for new restaurants usually means following the ones that are having trouble financially.

uggboy and ella like this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last time we purchased a Groupon dinner deal, the restaurant closed a few days after we visited. Since then, I have been hesitant about purchasing them.

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, Groupon will credit your account with the amount of the Groupon. We had this happen to us. and had no problem transferring the amount to a new Groupon at a restaurant that is still open. And I did the transfer during one of the 20% off sales that Groupon has at times. So actually, I took a $20 value Groupon (good for $40)for a restaurant that closed and turned it into one for $8 ($16) and one for $16 ($32 value). Check the date on the expired Groupon from the restaurant that closed. Usually there is a 6 month to 1 year expiration on the value.

uggboy and ella like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its generally a shitty deal for the restaurant and now, after a bit of time in the market, this is well known enough that expecting to find a truly good deal from Groupon is likely to leave one disappointed.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    [QUOTE="ella, post: 2657655, member: 2110"]The last time we purchased a Groupon dinner deal, the restaurant closed a few days after we visited. Since then, I have been hesitant about purchasing them.[/QUOTE]
    Had this same problem in the old days with Restaurant.com. The bottom line is that the restaurants featured in Groupon aren't top shelf, and if you can't get to them in a reasonable amount of time, the offer expires. Have pretty much allowed all those Groupon offers to go into the "Junk" mail for some time. Of course, YMMV.

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, Groupon is still around? ;)

Newscience and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had this same problem in the old days with Restaurant.com. The bottom line is that the restaurants featured in Groupon aren't top shelf, and if you can't get to them in a reasonable amount of time, the offer expires. Have pretty much allowed all those Groupon offers to go into the "Junk" mail for some time. Of course, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

The problem that I have had with Restaurant.com is that the restrictions can sometimes be ridiculous. Looking at the local area, 1) Many restaurants that participate, I have never heard of and Greater Tucson just ain't that big. 2) the minimum spend for many of the restaurants are also stupid. To use a $35 Restaurant.com certificate, they require an $80 spend. To be honest with just me and the wife, we have trouble just getting to $35 without trying to get to $80. Oh yeah, the $80 does not include wine, alcohol, drinks, or dessert. But many will allow appetizers. And 3) the shear number of restaurants that post the dreaded sign "We no longer accept Restaurant.com Certificates. 4) Add the ones that are still listed on Restaurant.com but have been out of business for over 5 years. and Restaurant.com is a stupid purchase.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  9. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't find a huge number of restaurants that interest me (and the San Francisco Bay Area isn't lacking in restaurants), but I would say it is far from dead. Perhaps it's helpful that I've found a few restaurants that don't seem to be in their final death spiral but rather still seems to be doing decent volume of business, but are continuing to work with Groupon to offer 50% off deals. Between ebates.com (often 6%) and the every third week or so 20% off coupon, Groupon continues to offer me pretty good values. Ordering $30 off the menu for $11.28 (net after ebates) isn't too bad. Paying sales tax on the original amount bugs me, though. Is that sales tax really making it to the tax authorities?

Mapsmith, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, if you are a big fan of Denny's! :D

uggboy likes this.