Group travel resources?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

A quick question, since search turned nothing and it would be pretty stupid of me not to rely on the wisdom of MP... :)

I've generally done solo travel or very small groups where everybody sort of rolls their own, even if we fly together. Now my friend is planning something in Costa Rica next year and the head count is (supposedly) at least a dozen people from the US, perhaps a lot more.

I noticed AA has group discounts listed on their sites for 10+ but they're generally pretty meager -- 5% off full unrestricted coach, etc. so I'm wondering if anybody (other than Randy & Co. :) ) has experience with maximizing the savings / mileage earning potential from booking travel for groups, primarily airfare.

Some of the other carriers have similar sections on their site with their own "call us for a quote" but I'm wondering whether this is something a travel agent is more suited for or if it's feasible (even if airfare alone) to just do on your own.