Group 2 boarding

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After 10 years + as 1K dropping to Gold for 2017. So if you are at the head of the Group 2 line is there much of a problem for finding space for a carry-on? When flying economy, I usually sit in the first few rows of E+ or the exit row.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't think you'll find a problem at the start of Group 2. I suspect that Group 1 will be smaller than in 2016, so you may find yourself fighting with more folks in Group 2. But, if you're lined up early I don't think you should have an issue.

cvsara, 8MiHi, sfo1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally not. It can be a slight problem getting the spot directly over your seat if you are in the first few rows of economy plus if all the other passengers around that spot board in front of you. Back in regular economy it's no problem to get the space directly above if you board in group 2.

8MiHi, sfo1 and Pizzaman like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll almost certainly not have to gate-check the bag. It might be a row or two away but it'll still be in the cabin.

8MiHi, sfo1 and Pizzaman like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. never really looked at the other lines when I was in group 1 or thought much about it. Well, at least I have two more flights as 1k before the downgrade to group 2. I guess I could start checking my rollerbag then I don't even have to think about groups at all.

8MiHi and Pizzaman like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good luck with checking your bag. I usually go with the "pry it out of my cold, dead hands" theory.

cvsara, 8MiHi and sfo1 like this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's the way I have been Have never checked luggage, always carry-on. I will play it by ear and see how it goes, but you can bet your rollerboard I will be close to if not the first in Group 2 to board.

8MiHi and Pizzaman like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't blame you. I don't understand the people who line up in Group 1 so early. But, past that, I'd be certain to be first so I could get a reasonable spot for my bag.

sfo1 likes this.
  9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been gold for the past year or so. With group 2 always being such a big group, I usually wait till the end of that group to board. I have not had an issue with finding overhead space for rollaboard. As others have said, it may not be directly over your seat, but you should have no problem finding space within a row or two of your seat.

8MiHi, Pizzaman and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. I would have expected slim pickings by the end of Group 2 given its size.

11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was on an SFO-EWR flight last week. Group 1 line was as long as I have seen it. At the time I attributed it to the size of FC but there were a lot going to E+. By the time Group 2 was boarding the overheads at the front of E+ were full. There was substantial room toward the rear of E+ however.
    I anticipate that when the time comes that I drop to Gold in a few years, that, assuming no major change to the boarding process, I will reserve seats further back in E+ on popular flights.

Olton Hall and sfo1 like this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do take the exit room quite a bit, so maybe that's the answer. I always book 6/8 months in advance so getting the exit room never a problem. Then I assume in most cases bin space would not be a problem

8MiHi likes this.
  13. Dcpremex

Dcpremex Active Member

Status Points:
    Flew twice on UA mainline last week. There are way more people in groups 3-5 than in 1 and 2. I have been "only" a 2 for years and never had any issue finding space, even when I board at the end of 2. The worst I have had is either having to put my carry on across the aisles or one row behind me.
    And very rarely do I ever see even people in 4 or 5 being asked to gate check on mainline planes. So this is really not an issue. If it were an issue for group 2 then no one in 3-5 could take their bags on board.

8MiHi, sfo1 and Garp74 like this.
  14. patrickbrochu

patrickbrochu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other factors will determine overhead space. Equipment type and airport you are in. the new 2x2 Embraer are a challenge for overhead. If in Newark, ORD, IAH, SFO or any UAL Hub then odds are you will have more competition vs a non UAL hub. As a lifetime Gold I appear to be in Grp 1. If my seat is near the front then you'll want your bag near you upon arrival.

However at almost all flights these days UAL, & others, are offering N/C checked bags. I know this may not be as attractive but you have better chances it will get on the first leg of your trip. :)

8MiHi and sfo1 like this.