Ground stop: Ground delay - who determines?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by thegrailer, Jun 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the pros: How do ground stops and ground delays work? And who is at fault - if fault is the correct term?

I borrowed these definitions/descriptions from another site and they appear to be what I have been informally told

Who determines when there is a ground stop/delay? The determination of a stop or a delay both appear to be out of the hands of the airlines.

But the ground delay looks to have some airline input. It looks like the airlines determines which flights are delayed, which flights get to land, and when these gets get slotted. Is that correct? So for example, with a ground delay at DCA for a DCA-EWR flight on CO, the airline would determine when our wheels up time was based on what slots were available. The airlines would determine which flights got which slots - yes/no? Or is this thinking totally off base?

Thoughts?

Cheers -

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect it's coordinated between the airport, the FAA and the centers that direct air traffic for the airport. But it's just an "edumacated" guess.

why fly likes this.
  3. It seems some airports are "more aggressive" in ground stops for lightning. At yyz they seem to love them and AC staff and leave the job as soon as possible however not sure if it my imagination but the other rampies see to
    be less concerned and our planes can be unloaded...

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is it correct that ATC in Canada has been privatized? If so, is each region or province separate? This could lead to different standards at each airport, rather than an overall consistent system.

Just speculatin'

5. Lets hope so, because we are getting ripped by landing fees.

6. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Traffic Control makes the decision. 9 times out of 10 it's because of weather.

thegrailer likes this.
  7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but does ATC also determines the time slots - My quest here is to find out who determines which plane gets which slot after one of these ground delays/stops, eg, did Continental [or which ever airline] make me miss my connection by not slotting my arrival in time or is that something that is out of the hands of the airline

Cheers -

8. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically ATC makes the final decision, but we work closely with the airlines. Normally it goes by who's been waiting the longest, but the airlines can change that. Example: If ORD has a ground delay and United has two flights from different cities headed there they'll make a request to have the number two flight go first because they need that plane in Chicago before the other flight. That plane might have a sooner departure time FROM ORD than the other plane and they want to prevent a delay on that end.