Grocery Spend. First HH then MP Gut Jobs where to go next?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Muerl, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I have been debating where to put my Grocery spend(1). As we talked about a while ago, I kept my MP Select card which offers 2x On Grocery. I also have a HHonor Surpass Amex, which of course gives 6x of nothing. And I have an Amex PRG card which gives me 2X on Grocery(2), but I am not sure on the values of MR honestly.

So basicly I have 3 cards that bonus the spend there but I don't know if any of them are worth that much.

I will do 5k more this year on the Surpass card because I spent 35k at CVS the first half of the year and while Diamond might not be that much better than gold, its I figure worth the opportunity cost for 2 years of it if I roll it over in december, and I will get more than .2CPP on those points.

So, in everyone elses opinion,

Am I missing a better option somewhere?

Is UA or MR worth .6CPM, especially give the two step hassle of going to wally world or should I just go down the CVS VR route with SPG -> AA given everything we have learned this year?

So some Caveats:

1. This is for manufactured spending. ie no 6x Amex
    2. Already hit my 30k Amex PRG Target

Newscience likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    CSP probably continues to be my best choice when there isn't a promo such as the current AA/Citi promo I have.

Newscience likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm putting grocery spend on the UA Select card for 2x UA MP miles. Even with the devaluation, I find UA MP trivially worth more than .6 CPM. No comment on whether it's better to manufacture grocery spend or CVS spend.

Newscience likes this.
  4. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try looking into American Express Hilton H card. It's 5 x
    :)

Sweet Willie, Muerl and Newscience like this.
  5. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    :)+++++ The gas and phone bill is also 5x.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if anyone else opinion is going to be much tremendous use to you.
    IMHO you seem have some misguided opinions about your current cards and their attendant features/ benefits ( I note at least three such in your OP)
    I am afraid my only advice at this point would be to try and learn a bit more about the cards you now have, set some sort of objective before wondering in different directions.

Not that this applies to you but my observation here is that many just seem to want collect as many points/miles as possible without any idea of how they
    want to use them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Muerl, Newscience and KENNECTED like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree that it's good to be goal-oriented! In other words, why not work towards an annual vacation (e.g., Caribbean, Hawaii)? Focusing on the goal, rather than simply collecting miles, should help enable you to find "smart" ways of getting there. Donme smartly, that might mean identifying both the airline and hotel that you want to stay at some time in advance. And reading Milepoint (and TOBB) postings certainly helps!

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Surpass HHonors card gives 6x on Grocery.

I do agree that focusing on goals its a better option, but right now I have many options and many goals.

I am debating a Business class trip to South America next winter for 2. I have about 2/3s of enough miles to do with with either AA or United. I would like atleast a few nice hilton nights in that trip.

Have 2 weeks booked in NZ / MEL in the winter. Will need some, but not many hotel nights for that.

Working on some summer wedding travel, but I have that covered with SouthWest points and a companion pass.

I am curious what you see as Misguided Opinions, I am always open to new information.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK the three things that came readily mind was 1) Your perception that HH points are valueless
    2) That HH diamond is not much better than Gold
    3) The value of MR points.

a) Again it depends on where you are planning to go .. in say SA there are decent Hiltons in Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Belem, Sao Paulo, Lima and I believe a new Hilton soon to open In Santiago, Chile.
    b) Again... both/or either UAL or AA miles are best for SA travel ( BA miles can be used on OW partners such as TAM/LAN) but both US carriers mentioned allow one-way awards and both have the best NA based service to SA.

Muerl likes this.
  10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Sorry I didn't mean to say they were worthless, but I found value in them previous at around .4CPP-.5CPP and If I am paying .2CPP for them, it seems like I should be either not playing that game or using 2% cash back for something sure vs speculative.
    2) This was based upon the sentiment I have seen here and on the Blogs. I have been Hilton Gold for 3 years, purely on CC Spend, and mostly make rewards stays at Higher End (But not Highest End) Properties. I have never not been either upgraded or given lounge access. I would guess I have been lucky, and that Diamond makes those things certain, but if I have limited actual spend at the hotel I did not see TOO much value.
    3) I accept that I should do more research into MR points. Having seen so many people complain about redemption with Delta somewhat put their value lower in my head. I know I should look deeper into their transfer options.

A) Agreed 100% Thats the trip that is currently in explore mode.
    B) and truthfully I might wind up doing a one way on each and an avios segment in the middle, if the flights line up best that way.

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    traditional Hilton AMEX or Surpass?

12. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Amex !!!! Call them or look it up on the Amex site.

13. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so the Amex Hilton NAF is 5X. 5X with HH points worth maybe .4 cents each? So this is about 2% back. Decent. But of course you already have the Surpass that does 6X so I'm not sure why this card would be interesting to you. Sure there's a bonus available, but as a Surpass Cardholder you don't qualify. You'd have to cancel the Surpass and wait 90 days I think to qualify for the bonus. See the terms in the bottom left of the landing page.

15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was posting the link for @sweet_willie I agree with everything you said.

16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for my next churn in January probably. And in particular thinking a card with a good grocery multiplier would be a nice thing to have. And for me this actually might be a decent choice. I'm sitting out the Surpass waiting for a year's gap. I don't have the NAF so could get it. 5X HH ain't that bad, despite their deval, and I still have to stay at Hilton's for work, so I'll be collecting HH anyway. I can't qualify for the Amex PRG since I have a Green (long time card), and cash back cards don't really interest me. I'll put it on the list.