Gripes about Hyatt, *not* about specific properties

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by legalalien, Oct 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Hyatt properties. I really do. And I love Gold Passport: ever since getting my Diamond status as part of SMD3 I have been faithfully re-qualifying, and this year will not be an exception.

But...I don't understand how a major hotel chain can afford to have a web site with major functionality being unavailable on a regular basis. The frequency with which I try to search for a hotel and the website just fails to load search results or craps out when looking up rates is unbelievable. I mean, my local pizza delivery joint has a more reliable web site.

So in retribution for all the frustration hyatt.com has caused me over the last few years I am creating this thread to allow fellow Hyatt fans to vent about all things Hyatt that are not specific to a particular property: hyatt.com, rude customer service agents (I'm yet to run into one to be honest), unhappiness with toiletries, etc. Fire away, but keep it PG.

Ok, keep it PG-13.

William JLP, canucklehead and iolaire like this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure they only have 6 hotels; Park Hyatt Sydney, PH Tokyo, Park Hyatt Maldives and I forget the other three. I hear that they revoke your blogger license if you don't stay at a Park Hyatt and take 5676 pictures of the room and Executive Lounge spread (and post it all to your blog) within a year. :p

I might be mistaken on how many Hyatts there are, but it sure seems that way, anyways, compared to Hilton. Their lack of footprint makes them untenable as an option for status as far as I am concerned. I don't see why everyone hates Portico, though.

3. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My top five biggest gripes in no particular order...

-The inconsistency in Regency/Grand lounges and the dramatic differences for breakfast benefits between their properties.
    -The inability to use diamond suite upgrades on award stays.
    -The lack of hotels in some larger European cities (Rome, Madrid, Athens, etc.)
    -Resort Fees that already include most of the benefits I am receiving as a diamond. I'm glad they offer a $5 discount, but c'mon.
    -The website for sure. It seems like it's always crashing and they really need to work on "my elite rate" and government rates in terms of accuracy and availability.

However, I will say that they have improved dramatically in terms of posting the welcome amenity point bonus within the last year. ;)

Thomask, iolaire and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt makes up in a big way for their meager presence in Europe and US by seeming ubiquitous in Asia. I'd started a thread that had explored this apparent paradox: although Hilton has 7-8 times more properties than Hyatt, I have been repeatedly surprised to find major cities in Asia that have Hyatt properties but not a single Hilton-branded hotel. For instance, good luck finding a Hilton property in these popular Asian destinations where Hyatt has a presence: Taipei, Ho Chi Minh City, Manila, or Siem Reap (in fact, in all of Cambodia). I would have included Jakarta, where I stayed at Grand Hyatt though I had wanted to redeem an award stay at a Hilton property but found none, except that it looks like Hilton just opened a DoubleTree there.

Having stayed at some great Hyatt properties in Asia (Park Hyatt Saigon, Park Siem Reap, Park Hyatt Seoul last month, among others), I believe that Hyatt is very strong as a hotel chain, a business and a company. Their properties are tastefully done and their service is second to none. I will be staying again at Hyatt Regency Manila and Park Siem Reap on Point and Cash later this year and am looking forward to it. On the other hand (since this thread is about griping), and as I have argued before, Gold Passport as a loyalty program is a joke; it's been so "devalued" of late that it now seems almost like an afterthought in Hyatt's overall scheme. Hilton, SPG and Marriott have revamped their websites, resulting in greatly increased reliability. That Hyatt hasn't similarly addressed their website issues, which I have seen reported here and elsewhere, is a bit of a puzzle considering their excellence as a business...unless they associate the website issues with Gold Passport and put them on the back burner as they have GP.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Thomask, iolaire and MX like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Only one Park Hyatt has a club lounge. And it's not one of the ones mentioned above ;)

You CAN use them on cash and points, though.

MX and viguera like this.
  6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a HUGE Hyatt fan boy. I do a lot of miles and a lot of nights and spend a lot of money with them. There's a million good things about Hyatt, from the consistently good customer service (especially at the Diamond phone line) to the level of cleanliness and luxury that is standard in every room at every property. They've earned my loyalty for life.

The negatives?

It starts with their IT. I've called, I've written and emailed (which hasn't been replied to) and tried online, but I cannot replace my CC number with a new one in my profile (used to make reservations).

The next complaint is the size of the franchise. It's too small. I have 24 nights in hotels in November. Hyatt gets 5 of them, because they're missing hotels in: Munich (!), Cape Town, and Mauritius. [seriously - have you ever looked at the hotel landscape in Cape Town? How can one of those 150+ hotels not be a Hyatt? The ADR in that city is higher than anywhere I can remember outside of a major city like NY. It's a disgustingly expensive hotel city.]

Finally, I'd like to be able to see my lifetime BASE points in my HGP account info. Right now the only place you can see your BASE points is in the monthly email summary. Since that number is the qualifier for lifetime Diamond, I'd like access to it.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I did not care about freebies and perks that come with being a top elite in a frequent guest program and most of my stays were on revenue, I would pick Hyatt as my number one choice for quality of service and hotels.

traveltoomuch and Garp74 like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am generally happy with Hyatt, but as legalalien has pointed out, their website is quite meh-some! The newer version to me is even less useful than the previous one.
    In addition to improving their website, I would love to see them add the C+P search there.

Typically, when traveling, I look to see if there is a Hyatt, then SPG, then Marriott..... so it still remains higher in my pecking order than others. The footprint is not enough that I can rely on them for all my travel.

LIH Prem and Garp74 like this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    what I do not like is the inconsistency with GP D Breakfast benefit. Sometimes can be taken at Lounge and at the big Breakfast venue. Other times (like most recent stay at Grand Hyatt Incheon only at lounge and offer was meager, I would say actually stingy. And that for a new or rebranded Hotel. Why would you want to be so greedy if you are trying to make an entrance into a hot market?

Many times I doubt that I get the best available room like as advertised in Diamond benefit.

Website and that one has to hunt down GP points and almost after every stay has to have communication with GP service because points are missing.

I do not like that most PH's have no lounge.

I do not like that one can not book points and cash online but has to call.

OceanBreezes and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the biggest complaint I'd have is what a lot of other Diamonds see... the lack of any sort of incentive to throw any more business at Hyatt after you requalify.

Everyone knows their hotel footprint is not as large as others, and more often than not you have to chase after Hyatt hotels to stay on track. But after you requalify for the year, other hotel chains start looking more and more appealing.

I suspect a lot of people give Hyatt little above the bare minimum after their 50th night, unless the hotels are really convenient.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why indeed? As I stated earlier, Hilton just opened their very first property in Jakarta, a DoubleTree, which appears to be so tastefully done they could have designated it as a Conrad. And how is Hilton trying to promote this new property? With redemption rates that one has not seen since the "devaluation"! Check out these rates for "premium room" reward:

upload_2014-10-30_13-35-11.png

A King Deluxe under 20K points (a special) or a King Superior Suite with lounge access under 40K points!!! If you know of anyone who is planning a trip to SE Asia, please do let them know about this incredible deal (saves me from starting a thread to let everyone know). I might have been tempted to spend some time in Jakarta if I had known about this property before I planned my Year-end Escapade(tm).

That is a great way to promote a new property!!!

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can never tell when you're serious or when you just forgot the sarcasm tag... so apologies in advance if you're NOT serious.

Looking at those rates though, it seems to be significantly more cost effective to just pay cash, even more so if you pay the advanced purchase rate. 18k points are worth a lot more than $90 IMO.

NYCUA1K and eponymous_coward like this.
  13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of careening merrily off-topic...

Well, you ARE getting half a penny a point. That's not horrible post-devaluation. ;)

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am dead serious. I thought about what you just said and would have paid cash if I were on a "business trip". For my Year-end Escapade, which is when I try to spend as little out of pocket as possible, I would have redeemed for the Superior Suite (~40K). More to the point, however, is that the last time I saw such rates for a suite was at DT KL in 2011. I suspect that the rates in cash are also so low to promote the property.

BTW, please follow the link to see some pictures of the property. It is...well, just take a look.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, when I am looking to redeem points for reward stays at the end of the year, I am more interested in availability and affordability in points than in the "value" of each point in $$, since the idea is to empty the point bank and keep my cash for entertainment. It is when "value" becomes completely subjective.

WhiteDesert likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, one more thing. This new Jakarta DT is a category 5 property, for which standard room redemption rates range between 30K and 40K points. To have a King Deluxe for 18K and a superior suite for 40K, both classified as premium rooms, is a real steal, the proverbial gift horse. ;)

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That hotel is cheap to redeem at or to pay with cash. Apparently they need to win business on price.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. What one goes with would depend on one's planning. I would use points without a second thought.

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post devaluation, I likely would too. Post deval I'd rather spend fewer points per night in the maldives, bora bora, or similar properties.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For sure. Most over-the-water bungalow type properties were made into a losing proposition by the devaluation; not a good way to spend points.

21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another gripe about Hyatt: I can't use my Hilton points there.

;)

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clever way to get the thread back on topic after that brief tangent...:cool:

OceanBreezes likes this.
  23. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy hyatt and in general try to stay there whenever I can. This would be made a lot easier if they were in more locations!!

24. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Website reliability, smaller foot print (and some brand inconsistencies), lifetime program substantially harder to qualify for than the competition (although if you're one of the few maybe that's a good thing), no lifetime tracker on website, etc.

All are well known gripe points really. The largest question is whether the smaller footprint works for you and in exchange you get better perks.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  25. EMCC

EMCC Member

Status Points:
    The thing I do not like about Hyatt is all the beige. Every single hotel is boring. Classy, handsome, modern but boring. It's like every Hyatt hotel in the world is a Westin. Also, I wish there was an elite level above diamond where I could really get the upgrades I deserve. NOW, the WORST thing about Hyatt is the upgrade system. As a diamond member, (50k base points this year since May), I get club access in Hyatt hotels. Most of the time, if I do not push and beg, the "upgrade" they give me, is a club room. Same size as the regular room, but with club access and a Nesspresso machine. Being that I already get the club access as a diamond feature, I do not really get ANY upgrade at all! In a way I feel cheated...

traveltoomuch and Thomask like this.