Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Dec 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I do not patronize these establishments, I cannot honestly say I oppose them. We either have a free society or we do not. Forcing them to close would be a form of censorship and as long as the employees have significant control over how the job impacts them personally, then they should be considered just another business.
    The author seemed to want to have it both ways, implying that these were not good culturally so as to satisfy the girlfriend/wife/feminist friend/liberal peers or whatever while not calling for much change since the employees themselves seem happy.

Newscience, uggboy and derekjv like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free society yes, but it seems improper for uniformed cops to go there, especially before or during their duty shift. My concern is whether the atmosphere could affect how they would handle a rape victim or domestic abuse case if such a crime or investigation were their next job duty.

Newscience likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious how my employer would handle an expense report that includes a Hooters dining charge. Adult entertainment establishment expenses are generally not reimbursable. The next time HR comes around with the recurring sexual harassment class, I will ask that question.

(for the record, I have never visited one of these restaurants, but I agree with 8MiHi in that I don't oppose their existence)

Newscience and 8MiHi like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that Cops are "only" humans too. :oops:

Newscience likes this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to combat objectivization of woman, clean up
    advertising in general. That won't happen. Get over it.

I was sort of hoping the article was going to rip places
    that served white meat chicken.

work2fly and Newscience like this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that going there in uniform or for business entertainment is not professional.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amusing is what this stuff really is:D Nobody here admits to going to going one of these types of eateries ( sorry me.. not buying it:)) but everybody sure has a pretty strong (negative) opinion.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it did and does happen. :oops:

8MiHi likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, it feels like nearly always, we read about it, many people do it, but no-one admits to it nor do we know someone who really does it. Ha. Ha. :):D:)

8MiHi and newbluesea like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I have. About two weeks about twenty guys including myself had " a send off party" at Hooters for a guy in our field (marine/ shipping industry) which was retiring.
    Perhaps some of us are getting old but it was pretty innocuous and most seemed more interested in the beer and buffalo wings (especially when the girls leaned over the table to put the pitchers down :D)
    The retiree's wife (who as far as I had believed was pretty straight-laced ) came to pick him up and had a couple beers with us seemed to have enjoyed herself.

blackjack-21, uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How are their vegetarian food choices?

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a lot options there as far as I can recall I believe it pretty much limited to a side salad.
    The only vegetables we had at our table were the carrot and celery sticks that came with the buffalo wings dipping sauce.:)

Newscience likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I looked at the menu online. Vegequarians have broader choices. Fish & chips!

8MiHi likes this.
  15. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't comment about the breasts (Phyllis won't let me) but the lunch specials are great. I get the naked wings (10) with a medium sauce and fries for under $10. They have a huge burger for about the same. But the vegetarian options are limited to rather ordinary garden salads. At lunch, a salad with my wings costs either $1 or $2 (can't remember) extra.

uggboy likes this.