Grid comparing all airlines/partners/alliances?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by servo, Sep 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been inclined to develop a spreadsheet that describes each airline, who their partners are, who their alliance members are, common compliments about that airline, common complaints, and best CC offers (not only from direct avenues, but for other cards like SPG, CSP, etc) for quick mileage gain among the most banks (b/c we all can't qualify for 6 Chase cards). Before going through this, I'm wondering if something similar has been done already or not? I think if I saw all the partnerships and cc offers graphically, it would make much more sense to me. It would also help with card churning models.

Obviously, the card part would be rather fluid, but it could be updated at churn time to reflect the most up-to-date offers for which to choose from.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best I've seen are from wikipedia... and that's not saying much

Kalboz and servo46250 like this.
  3. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flyerguide.com does something like this. No? Definite room for improvement though.

Kalboz and servo46250 like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea but it would be great if it was in Excel or workable format so you could run formulas from the chart to compare offers. It should also include the cost to buy, gift or share miles.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree Dan. I planned to use Excel, but if it was going to be for public consumption, I'm probably not the most experienced person (in terms of the programs and value calculations) to build it.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy to help you on this if you want but I must warn you that the process is very time consuming. It is a challenge to collect the data. It is a challenge to verify the data. And it is a challenge to keep it up to date with any reliability.

I've done similar projects for things like FF earning rates and code-share mappings and the data is NOT easy to harvest and publish.

But if you're interested in some help, particularly with the infrastructure stuff, I'm happy to spin up a site and build the back-end to support it.

servo46250 and boondr like this.
  7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a very kind offer. I will keep that in mind. My initial plan was to create something solely for my own churning knowledge and give me the incentive to dig into the weeds to learn more about these programs so I can feel like I'm making the best possible earning decisions for my family's travel goals. I'd update it as often as I decide to churn cards, so rather than being a living document per se, it would be one where I'd only put forth the effort 2-3 times a year.

I don't doubt your effort statement for a second, and that's why I'm pretty sure something like this doesn't exist to the fullest degree in the blogosphere already.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you just want a list of earn/redeem partners it is much easier than building a value matrix. Knowing that a LH C long-haul earns better on US but short-haul can earn better on OZ is very much an edge case, I'd say, versus simply knowing that one can credit that flight to either of those two programs among 20 or so others.

That said, I'm still convinced that there is a way to build an 80% solution with reasonably high accuracy. I just haven't buckled down to do it yet.

servo46250 likes this.
  9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that would be such a nice thing to have.

servo46250 likes this.