Greyhound vs Bolt bus. Comparisons please

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, May 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone tell me the differences between riding Greyhound vs the Bolt bus? I know Bolt has more legroom, wi-fi, and power. I know that the new Greyhound busses have the same (don't know about the old ones).

Bolt is a few dollars cheaper than Greyhound NYC/BAL. I was going to train it, but at $100 R/T vs $20's - $30's on the bus, it's not a consideration. FYI, the bus ride is longer.

Comments?

SC Flier likes this.
  2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about using amtrak points? they're very reasonable from baltimore to NYC. Bolt is a greyhound and peter pan joint venture. I wouldn't pay more for greyhound vs bolt. but if bolt is cheaper than greyhound why not. Newer busses and same level of maintenance, safety, etc.

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You take your chances...

You could be stuck with an older Greyhound bus with fewer amenities.

You can also be dropped off (or have to wait) in some pretty odd spots for Bolt Bus. I don't like Port Authority, but it's a functioning indoor terminal.

EDIT: I may have been thinking of Megabus.

iolaire likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolt is owned by Greyhound. I've had a few Bolt bus trips and they've been just okay, but not particularly comfortable. I did the Baltimore to NYC route and didn't enjoy it — the bus was full and I had a crummy seat (I think there may have been something wrong with it). I normally don't mind bus travel.

Be aware that Bolt buses do fill up and you'll need a reservation for many of their departures.

iolaire likes this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This never dawned on me. I have enough points (4000) to book a 1 way trip. Hmmm. Based on the bus redemption, the 4000 point Amtrak ticket is only worth $20 some odd dollars. What's the value of an Amtrak point these days?

SC Flier likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolt Bus picks up streetside near the Sabrros in NYC, it's the usual zoo.

I've head riders that have said the gray hound is muck better because of the terminal.

Personally the buses are fine for me, but sometimes you do have equipment swaps and you get a random contact bus. But that might be more common on the smaller brands.

Generally we use the lowest priced bus each way, be it mega bus, bolt bus, washington Delux/to NYC, vamoose etc... We also take the bus dc -> Philly to save stress and parking $.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good advice, during peak times I really see walk ups buying tickets, unless it is fairly off hours.

One other pointer, the bus is on the highway, travel time to NYC is VERY unpredictable, have flexibility on your timing after arrival.