Greyhound Express: new spin on an old-fashioned ride

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jun 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA Times - Greyhound Express: new spin on an old-fashioned ride

I know Megabus also seems to be growing. For $1, would you be willing to take Greyhound (or another bus company) over flying? Granted there may be some appeal in avoiding TSA, nude-o-scopes, etc., although I'm not sure much more pitch and space a bus seat has!
    :)

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if the busses are nice, I cannot say I've been to a pleasant in-city bus depot.

I took a bus out to see a power plant in NJ last year. (A bus from port authority goes directly to the plant in NJ.) In that case, the bus was the quick way to go...as there are bus-only lanes in the tunnel...the bus itself was a nice coach...but the time in the Port Authority Bus Terminal was terrible! While I think this is an outlier, in the little area where you queue for your particular bus, the police came in and arrested the guy three back of me! :eek: I don't think I'd ever actually seen someone arrested in a close-up setting.

uggboy likes this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems every few months you hear a story of a bus that went off the road because the driver fell asleep. I've been on group charter busses (several years ago) and didn't feel safe even then because I felt the driver was distracted. And I certainly wouldn't want to hang around at the Greyhound depot in Houston (or probably any other major city).

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And since the TSA is now searching passengers on Commuter Trains, Like Tri-Rail in South Florida. (even getting off the trains, which makes absolutely no sense), how long before TSA searches the Passengers on a Mega Bus or one of the other Bus lines?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My brother has taken a number of bus trips, he was just in Chicago a couple weeks ago for Bluesfest & took the bus.

The savings, both $ & timewise, would have to be VERY compelling for me to take the bus, the equation just hasn't come close to being worth it IMO.