Greetings from the LHR AC!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone!

For those traveling, I hope all goes well!!

LHR's AA checkin and security was very calm, although the passport check agent said it was a zoo this morning. The AC is very quiet, which is nice before my 8.5 hour flight to ORD!

Merry Christmas and may everyone enjoy the holiday weekend!!

:) robin

garyst16 and SQ LPP like this.
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be too late now, but I'd suggest the BA or CX lounges at LHR over the AC... Perhaps for next time. :)

rwoman likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used the BA lounge...it is nice... I'll have to try CX next time!!

This is one OLD 763!! Nice FAs though! :)

Microwave likes this.
  4. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't let the secret of the CX lounge get out... I'm often the only one on the F side, and the noodle bar is to die for!

Any chance you have Andi as your purser? She flies mostly 763s between ORD and LHR, and she's absolutely fabulous!

ChicagoEric and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not catch the purser's name, but the FAs in Y did a great job!! :) Top notch customer service!! I gave them $5 Starbucks gift cards to say thanks and Merry Christmas. :)

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I found odd on this 763 was the old style bins from row 20 back and the newer Signature style bins in the front part of Y and in J.

7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was actually underwhelmed the last time I was there. But perhaps my tastes are strange as I really liked the F side of the BA lounge which I know underwhelms others. So to each their own. . .

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree, I wasn't too happy with the CX offering, I prefer BA at LHR.

9. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally find the BA lounge a bit ostentatious, and it can get busier at times. The CX lounge tends to be less busy in my experience (especially the F side), and I like the understated nature of the decor and extraordinarily friendly staff. I also think the CX food is better than the BA food; even at breakfast I'm usually much happier with the CX spread than BA--not to mention the noodle bar, which I really enjoy. The alcohol is undeniably better on the BA side of course, but the CX lounge is good enough for me, given the other aspects that I much prefer. :)

rwoman likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is the noodle bar only set up in the afternoon/evening? I flew LHR-HKG on CX F in June and for my AM flight I was very disappointed in the food offering. Mostly danish and cookies.

11. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it opens around 11, although last time I was there before then and asked the attendant about it, I was told that it hadn't opened yet but she would go "ask the chef" to make us what we'd like. I thanked her profusely but replied that we were more than happy to wait, but she insisted that she take our order. I wouldn't expect noodle availability before 11 or so, but if you ask nicely you may be able to get your order in before then. :)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good to know, I plan on having another CX F flight out of LHR either this year or next to celebrate the other half's MBA, so perhaps we will select something departing in the afternoon. I was happy with the coconut orange cookies that I can only seem to find in the UK. I loaded up. :)

rwoman and Microwave like this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do I need to see if I can procure and send you coconut orange cookies? ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Walker Brand. They sell them in the US but I haven't seen the coconut orange variety. :D

My birthday is in July. Remind me then. :)

rwoman likes this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha :) I can do that...lol

16. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case I think I must have been on an even older - or at least less updated - 763 Sunday night. Even up front --which would have been J on your route, but the flight was marketed as F/Y on the city pair I was flying -- the overhead bins were the old style, and the frame on my "cocoon" sleeper seat was so worn out that it was wobbling. At the gate, waiting to board with the plane's nose facing the window of the boarding area, the signature silver finish seemed to have spots on the nose. No, not corrosion or anything like that, but no longer gleaming silver. All around, that 763 just reeked of age. I'm not saying I ever felt it wasn't airworthy - I didn't feel that. But I am sure the older 763 fleet just has to be eating them alive in maintenance costs. No wonder fleet replacement is a high priority even in bankruptcy.

rwoman likes this.
  17. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that Boeing Signature Interior bins and PSUs were installed back to row 13 on all 763s when NGBC was fitted a few years ago...

rwoman likes this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't go back to row 13 or 20 and compare the bins behind that point, but I will tell you the bins up in J (F) looked very worn, old, and while not as tiny as, for example some DC-9s or early MD-80s I have flown on various carriers, not particularly roomy, at least in my opinion. The general ceiling contour on the Boeing link you cite was similar to what I recall Sunday, though less gleaming and with a lot of scuff marks in the bins. I did not shoot a cell-phone pic so that I can compare for sure, though. This plane did have the NGBC "lay (sorta) flat" cocoon-style seats and footrests, but the bins were hardly impressive.

rwoman and Microwave like this.
  19. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case, what you saw was the best Boeing has chosen to offer for 767s on any airline. If you had gone further back, you likely would have found the truly old style bins (only a handful of AA's 763s have BSI bins/PSUs all the way back). Of course it's quite possible that they are worn out and need replacing--that's a different issue altogether :) Also, I certainly think it has its pros and cons and is far from perfect, but the NGBC seat is indeed fully flat, it just isn't flat to the floor (as opposed to PMNW's A330/747 WBC seat, which is nearly flat but not quite, and is also not flat to the floor).

rwoman likes this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep - this was my first time on an AA 763 and I was a bit surprised to see the only put the newer bins back to the first part of the Y cabin. I guess, if anything, it's something to keep in mind when booking seats and choosing to carry on luggage. Even my 20" bag (packed to the minimum) does not fit well into the really old bins - done so on DL and BA.

Microwave likes this.
  21. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread... ;)
    While that's true, there is a dearth of acceptable seats in the coach mini-cabin (rows 10-13), so keep that in mind when choosing seats... I'd personally take row 21 outside aisle and have to get creative with my carry-on bag rather than sit in the mini-cabin.

rwoman and JNB280 like this.
  22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely! I usually check my rolling 20" bag, do choosing the old bins in exchange for legroom is easy! :)

Microwave likes this.
  23. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    THe ONLY reason I stop by the LHR A/C is if I know the flight is at Gate # "Way-The-Heck-Out-There" (at the 40's end of the pier) and I want to see if it's been delayed a bit or not (as the lounge staff at CX and BA wouldn't have that info., and those gate areas are not for lingering unecessarily).

The "problem" with enjoying BA and CX offering at Heathrow's T-3 is just that. You start enjoying them---and forget that it's a bit of a trek to where AA's gates are at the end of the pier.... :eek:

For AA's morning & mid-day departures, CX does have hot breakfast offerings (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, etc.). and sometimes, I do like sitting by those big floor-to-ceiling windows and enjoying the view over a cuppa. That, and IMHO their shower facilities are a bit more spacious than the "wet rooms" in BA. Other times, it's the BA Champagne Bar, or sitting down in the dining room with the full service is a nice treat.